Timberline Trail July 8-11 2019

This forum is used to share your experiences out on the trails.
LittleWench

Timberline Trail July 8-11 2019

Post by LittleWench » July 13th, 2019, 2:00 pm

Backpacked the loop clockwise from Timberline Lodge July 8-11. Started late afternoon Monday and finished late afternoon Thursday. Camped at Paradise Park, Cairn Basin and Cloud Cap Campground - all great spots. The spigots at Cloud Cap don’t work, but fresh water is available by walking a short way (<1/4 mile) on the trail to Tilley Jane CG. The vault toilet was open.

Trail conditions were very good overall. A few of the river crossings required extra time scouting the best place to cross, but we were aided by cairns marking good spots with logs or rock hops. The water wasn’t more than calf high the couple of times we had to wade across. All could be safely crossed in one way or another, even for me at 5’2”. Eliot Branch had a good log downstream of the trail, although a steep traverse was required to reach it.

Snow fields are melting out fast and the ones remaining were soft enough for good traction in my trail runners. We had to crawl over a few downed trees in the Elk Cove area, but nothing too difficult.

No mosquitoes or biting flies. Not one single bite.

Stunning views and fields full of wildflowers. Couldn’t ask for more.

calipidder

Re: Timberline Trail July 8-11 2019

Post by calipidder » July 25th, 2019, 8:10 am

Thanks for the positive report! I came here looking for any recent reports since I'll be heading there in a couple of weeks. I'll be with someone who gets a little nervous at stream crossings, so that update was particularly helpful to send along. Thanks again!

LittleWench

Post by LittleWench » July 27th, 2019, 3:24 pm

Glad you found my report helpful. Happy hiking!

retired jerry

Post by retired jerry » July 29th, 2019, 6:24 am

how was crossing Eliot? was there a log or easy rocks?

LittleWench

Post by LittleWench » July 29th, 2019, 7:44 am

If too deep to wade safely, there is a nice big log downstream of the where the trail crosses. Look for cairns along a steep traverse to reach it.