Wild rhododendrons?

The purpose of this forum is to help people identify things they've seen while out hiking: wildflowers, trees, birds, insects, small animals, animal tracks, even geographical features like buttes or streams
justpeachy

Re: Wild rhododendrons?

Post by justpeachy » January 10th, 2019, 11:55 am

They aren't as showy as domestic rhododendrons, but they are still very lovely in early summer. This is from the RRSNF in 2014.

julienchastang

Post by julienchastang » July 4th, 2019, 7:04 am

On highway 58 towards Crater Lake, I stumbled upon an extraordinary area of wild rhododendrons on 6/30/2019. The blossoms were light pink and of great abundance -- perhaps a super bloom on account of the wet conditions this past winter. Also it seemed late in the season for such a show, but there they were again maybe because of the large snowpack from the previous winter.

Sadly I didn't stop driving as I incorrectly assumed there would be more rhododendrons ahead, but that was it. I'm not from the area so I didn't realize how unique of a spectacle it was.

If anyone sees this post and has seen what I'm talking about please give a more accurate description of the location. It was perhaps at 3,000 - 4,000 feet in elevation again on highway 58 in the Willamette National Forest maybe 60-90 minutes from Eugene.

oldandslow

Post by oldandslow » July 5th, 2019, 9:55 am

There are a lot of rhododendrons in the general area of Salt Creek Falls. The plants along the road get more sun than the ones in the woods so they bloom more profusely. I have a pacific rhododendron in my back yard which was planted before I moved in which was more than 40 years ago. It is in dense shade and doesn't bloom much.
On my last ever backpacking trip on West Zigzag Mountain, I came across a wild rhododendron that looked like a hybrid--compact with lots of blooms. I assume that it was because of the sunny location.
W_ZZ_RHODODENDRON.JPG