Blowdown on Elk Cove Trail

This forum is used to share your experiences out on the trails.
TwoPaw

Blowdown on Elk Cove Trail

Post by TwoPaw » July 2nd, 2019, 2:51 pm

As of 8/18/2017 Trail has been maintained.

I can only assume the Elk Cove Trail #631 had quite the winter. Over two decades hiking Mt. Hood Forest Trails and no maintained path has ever served me up so much blowdown.

So if you’re not up for constant rigamarole - climbing around this, getting scratched by that (in shorts was I) perhaps avoid this path for a bit. It’s no walk in the park.

On the other hand the trail is doable. And what’s more, my ascent raised my spirits. Six years ago I looped Elk Cove with Pinnacle, taking in aftermath of the 2011 Dollar Lake fire.

Nature has been hard at work. The first “tedious” mile on the former road is much less so as flowers, natural ground covers and understory foliages now brighten the way. Further up, entire slopes are filled with children trees, so many that I wondered if there’d be room for them all. And more flowers, including rampant lupine.
IMG_1850.JPG
Up to Coe Overlook the blowdown is persistent but mainly consists of small trunks and snags. Continuing on, the density of debris increases markedly, and after crossing Cove Creek its pretty much nonstop until Elk Cove itself, where a few mosquitos added to the effort.
IMG_1840.JPG
IMG_1839.JPG
The meadow - how long until trees fill it in? (like Jefferson Park) - is already a wonder of wildflowers, including the western pasqueflower in various stages.
IMG_1838.JPG
After lunch I felt revived, and threw on my snowshoes (yes!) and headed up to the ridge overlooking Coe branch leading up to the glacier.
IMG_1834.JPG
This actually was the easiest (or least nettlesome) part of the day.
IMG_1833.JPG
After soaking the views in, I descended just in my boots on what might have been the remnants of a small avalanche hurtling into the cove, judging from debris.

Extra pics
Attachments
IMG_1849.JPG
IMG_1828.JPG
IMG_1822.JPG
IMG_1821.JPG

woodswalker

Re: Blowdown on Elk Cove Trail

Post by woodswalker » July 3rd, 2019, 9:11 am

Thanks for posting about the blow down and conditions above in the meadow.

sgyoung

Post by sgyoung » July 3rd, 2019, 5:21 pm

Cool trip report. Thanks for this. At least the views seem worth the effort to get there. It also looks like there is still a lot of snow on the mountain for July, which is nice to see (although probably not so nice for higher elevation hikes).

Splintercat

Post by Splintercat » July 4th, 2019, 8:23 pm

Thanks! Nice report! Tough blowdown to clear -- mostly in wilderness, so requiring crosscut crews. I believe the USFS has contracted with Northwest Youth Corps to do some work on Mount Hood this summer, so this one might be on their list..?

Tom :-)

retired jerry

Post by retired jerry » July 5th, 2019, 5:12 am

exacerbated by Dollar Lake fire