Horseshoe Meadows, Mt Adams

This forum is used to share your experiences out on the trails.
drm

Horseshoe Meadows, Mt Adams

Post by drm » June 23rd, 2019, 7:10 pm

So I had a 3-day, 2-night backpack planned Friday to Sunday but as I was setting up camp Friday night at Soda Peaks Lake, I realized I had forgotten my sleeping pad. I'm trying to decide whether this is the worst forget I've had vs forgetting TP on a 5-day Olympics trip. Anyway, I came out on Saturday as I wasn't going to do two nights on the ground.

That left me free for a dayhike today and I decided to see if the PCT was clear to Horseshoe Meadow on Mt Adams, and it was, even the meadow was melted. It was cold though. Mid 40s at the trailhead and in a cloud bank. More sunny at the meadow, but the wind was howling. Would have been a rough day on the climb (see the cloud bank on the right). But I wasn't on the climb, I was on the meadow, sheltered from the wind by a large, dense tree. I hung out there for two hours.
mahm 1.jpg
Mt Adams, Horseshoe Meadow, and a muddy Cascade Creek
mahm 2.jpg
interesting clouds
mahm 3.jpg
lots of nice mats of phlox

romann

Re: Horseshoe Meadows, Mt Adams

Post by romann » June 27th, 2019, 6:45 pm

Nice - haven't realized just how much Adams melted out already! Thanks for the heads up drm.

anne37

Post by anne37 » June 27th, 2019, 9:19 pm

Yikes, I hadn't realized that area was bare yet, either. Time to get out there! Thanks for the report.

vitameatavegamin

Post by vitameatavegamin » June 28th, 2019, 6:57 am

Thanks for the info. How were the mosquitoes? We went up last year about this time and they were horrible. Went up around this time a few years ago and they were nonexistent. Hoping to find that mozzie-free window for Stagman Ridge.

drm

Post by drm » June 29th, 2019, 6:07 am

Last week they were at the trailhead, not up high. But they will start working there way up the mountain. My guess is that it will be a few more weeks till the alpine areas have their mosquito phase.

Naturebat

Post by Naturebat » July 3rd, 2019, 4:04 am

Great to see this place is pretty much snow free; I've been meaning to go back at some point.

Any rough idea as to when the wildflowers at Horseshoe Meadow will peak?
- Previously ElementalFX