Walk up Ride down.

General discussions on hiking in Oregon and the Pacific Northwest
quielo

Walk up Ride down.

Post by quielo » June 16th, 2019, 7:05 pm

I tend to like hiking up better than hiking down. My knees don't like the descent. I see there is a Mt Hood Express that could bring back to a trail head along the Mt. Hood hwy. Anyone done this?

woodswalker

Re: Walk up Ride down.

Post by woodswalker » June 18th, 2019, 7:03 am

I've taken a shuttle down from Timberline lodge. It dropped me off at the Government Camp Rest area. Lots of people stayed on, so it does make other stops. I just googled Timberline shuttle to find it.

teachpdx

Post by teachpdx » June 18th, 2019, 7:47 am

I've gone the other way... parked at Castle Canyon TH near Rhododendron, ridden up from Rhododendron to Timberline, and then hiked back from there via Timberline/Paradise Park/Zigzag Mtn Trail. It was a rather long day but totally worth it.

The Mt. Hood Express is a great way to get down (and up) the mountain... just be mindful of the times since it doesn't run too often.
instagram: @remyodyssey

klossner

Post by klossner » June 25th, 2019, 2:48 pm

I once left a car at Sherrard Point, drove another to Multnomah Falls, and hiked up the Larch Mountain trail, gaining 4000 feet elevation without having to hike back down. This was when Palmer Mill Road was open. Now you'll spend most of an hour jockeying the cars.

adamschneider

Post by adamschneider » June 25th, 2019, 10:01 pm

klossner wrote:
June 25th, 2019, 2:48 pm
I once left a car at Sherrard Point, drove another to Multnomah Falls, and hiked up the Larch Mountain trail, gaining 4000 feet elevation without having to hike back down.
Here's an idea: leave a BIKE at Sherrard Point and hike up from the Angel's Rest Trailhead. Downhill almost all the way back.