Top Multi-day Hikes in the Northern Cascades

Trip recommendations, current conditions, and other trail related Q&A
chooch

Top Multi-day Hikes in the Northern Cascades

Post by chooch » June 14th, 2019, 8:23 am

I've done the Timberline, which was amazing, and am interested in similar 30-40 mile hikes. I haven't been in the Northern Cascades. Can anyone recommend some epic hikes up there? Wonderland looks awesome but i can't get away for 9 days. Appreciate your help!

chooch

Re: Top Multi-day Hikes in the Northern Cascades

Post by chooch » June 14th, 2019, 11:19 am

Looks like a great one.

pcg

Post by pcg » June 15th, 2019, 8:10 am

Truly an epic hike and probably the most scenic loop in NCNP that is all good trail, with the exception of the short section past the ford of the Chilliwack River. I don’t recall any flagging there (as stated in the link) so be handy with map and compass for that short section.If you do this, it would be a shame to go all that way and not do the suggested side trip to Tapto Lakes. IMO, the trail is much better than described in the linked article, although it’s been many years since I was up there.

drm

Post by drm » June 17th, 2019, 3:14 pm

Spider Gap / Buck Creek Pass, in the Glacier Peak area (still north cascades but not in the national park) is another classic loop. Need to do the side trip to Image Lake and Miners Ridge Lookout.

The Northern Loop in Rainier National Park is also fantastic, takes in a part of the Wonderland but is sized on the range you want. Permits may be a challenge.

I agree about the Copper Ridge / Chilliwack loop too, and would be a shame to miss out on the side trip to Whatcom Pass and Tapto Lakes, but it is a sizeable side trip. But Spider Gap / Buck Ck has easier logistics since you don't have to get a national park permit.

There are also great loops in Olympic National Park and the Wallowa Mtns (Eagle Cap Wilderness), just in case you worry that you might run out. :lol:

chooch

Post by chooch » June 24th, 2019, 12:01 pm

Thanks very much, that is all helpful. I am doing the Tetons this Summer in early August. Should be epic.

drm

Post by drm » June 24th, 2019, 2:32 pm

I did the Teton Crest loop a few years back. I definitely recommend having one of your camps on Death Canyon Shelf. Thunderstorms can be a real hassle, though we got lucky. But people going out when we went in spoke of 6 hours of pouring rain every afternoon starting at noon. We don't get that in the PNW.

chooch

Post by chooch » June 26th, 2019, 6:17 am

Yep, camping on the shelf our first night. We're prepped for the weather, but thanks for the heads-up!