Timberline Trail around Mt. Hood - July Conditions

Trip recommendations, current conditions, and other trail related Q&A
irish-hiker

Timberline Trail around Mt. Hood - July Conditions

Post by irish-hiker » June 10th, 2019, 11:16 am

I realize this is a loaded question, but how challenging with the Timberline Trail around Mt. Hood be at the beginning of July?
We are fairly experienced hikers and familiar with the mountain. We just haven't done this particular trail before.
I do plan to scope out the trail from both the Timberline Lodge and above Ramona Falls over the next few weeks and I'll create a trip report here, but just thoughts in general?
FWIW I've gone running on Crosstown Trail at the end of July and had to post-hole through snow drifts, so I understand how variable conditions can be.

drm

Re: Timberline Trail around Mt. Hood - July Conditions

Post by drm » June 10th, 2019, 11:59 am

It will be challenging, especially early in the month. Although snow is melting off well ahead of normal, there will be snow in many spots, hiding the trail, requiring some form of navigation expertise. Even more challenging most likely will be some of the water crossings, especially if the temps are warm. Even if the snow is mostly melted off at your altitude, there is a lot above that is melting.

People will certainly be doing the loop by then, but it will be a much more straight-ahead hike later in the summer.

Born2BBrad

Re: Timberline Trail around Mt. Hood - July Conditions

Post by Born2BBrad » June 10th, 2019, 8:14 pm

Did the TT last year at a similar time. It was doable, but difficult. Route finding with a GPS was required. Read this TR for an idea of what it would be like:

viewtopic.php?f=8&t=26834&p=202814#p202814
Make now always the most precious time. Now will never come again.
- Jean Luc Picard

Link to GPX tracks
Link to Trip Reports