Twin Lakes Bugs?

Trip recommendations, current conditions, and other trail related Q&A
poppacouch

Twin Lakes Bugs?

Post by poppacouch » June 9th, 2019, 7:44 pm

Planning to get my family out for a quick overnighter very soon! Curious if anyone can comment on bugs specifically at Lower Twin Lake, but I suppose it would be generally the same in the Mt. Hood forest at similar elevations ~4200' near a lake...
I was at Cast Lake (about the same elevation) just 2 weeks ago - no problem with bugs. Not sure how quick things change...

Appreciate anything you can tell me...

drm

Re: Twin Lakes Bugs?

Post by drm » June 10th, 2019, 6:12 am

What I can tell you is the heat this week is going to change things. A true mosquito plague usually needs warmer water for their swimming larvae to mature in large numbers. They will get that later this week and soon after that some areas may get much worse. But if there is enough snow melting to keep the melt pools cold, then it may await the next heat wave in any given area.

poppacouch

Re: Twin Lakes Bugs?

Post by poppacouch » July 2nd, 2019, 7:32 pm

Late follow-up: encountered mosquitos on the hike in, particularly when dropping down to lower twin lake. 6 in our group. 2 were unscathed, while the others ended up with 40-60 bites. 😕. I think most of the bites occurred on the walk in prior to applying any bug spray...