Timberline Trail conditions in early July

This forum is used to share your experiences out on the trails.
Zkerrissey

Timberline Trail conditions in early July

Post by Zkerrissey » May 30th, 2019, 6:31 pm

A buddy and I are hoping to complete the Timberline trail loop this summer and the dates we have are July 8-11, 2019. We plan on taking it slow and finishing in 3-4 days, as we are relatively beginners. I’m concerned that snow will make the dates we have available not work. I would absolutely welcome any insight from folks who have done this trail in early July. How has this year been in terms of snowfall? Relatively heavy? Light? Also welcome to any general tips for the trip as well! Thanks!

OregonSurveyor

Re: Timberline Trail conditions in early July

Post by OregonSurveyor » May 30th, 2019, 9:26 pm

We’ve had a slightly below average snow year (per two SnowTel stations on Mt Hood). July 8th is about as early as I would start, but it should work. You’ll probably see a few snow patches when above 5800’, and the highest section on the east side usually holds snow into August, but it lasts less than a mile.
Stream crossings can be your other issue; the Sandy, Coe, Elliot and White Rivers require care. Trekking poles and light trail runners or crocs can be handy. Google safe stream crossings if this is new to you. (Face upstream, undo waist and chest belts, and move only one point of contact at a time). Everyone always says, “Cross early in the day”. Easier said then done when you have a schedule to keep. But if you have a perilous crossing, wait until daybreak or reverse and bailout.
Wonderful flowers, beautiful streams and adventure awaits!
Jerry King
Oregon Land Surveyor (Retired)
SAR Volunteer - CSAR (Clackamas County Sheriff)

retired jerry

Post by retired jerry » May 31st, 2019, 5:11 am

August 8 would be better. Or early September.

Early July - make sure you have good bug protection - long sleeves and pants, headnet, DEET.

There should be a trip report here by then so you should get some useful info.

OregonGirl53

Post by OregonGirl53 » August 17th, 2019, 2:45 am

I’ve recently seen updates regarding a nasty invasion of biting flies between Ramona and Elk Cove. This was in early August. I’m heading out the 28th, and am curious if anyone’s been through recently and what condition the fly population is in. I didn’t see a single biting fly last September, so I’m praying perhaps they’ll have moved elsewhere soon.

markesc

Post by markesc » August 17th, 2019, 9:52 am

I was up there on Monday and while there were flies, they were not biting, and it was a low wind day...so perhaps they are tapering off now?

keithcomess

Post by keithcomess » August 18th, 2019, 1:38 pm

I was there ~10 days ago. There were swarms of biting flies on the TT between Ramona Falls and Elk Cove supplemented by evening-time mosquitoes (though they were far outnumbered by the grimly determined and frequently suicidal flies). There were fewer on other sections, and none above timberline. Last time I completed that loop (2016) there were none of either predator group in early August.

Keith