[EDIT REQUEST] Devils Peak from Hunchback Mountain Hike

Post comments or questions about the Field Guide
imbellish

[EDIT REQUEST] Devils Peak from Hunchback Mountain Hike

Post by imbellish » May 27th, 2019, 8:47 am

https://www.oregonhikers.org/field_guid ... ntain_Hike

Mileage on this hike is not 15.4. Official signage from the trailhead indicates that Devil's Peak is 9 miles one-way, and my own tracking resulted in 9.4 miles, making a rough total at 18.0-18.8.

Otherwise, the hike directions are still accurate. It may be good to mention that parts of the trail before the Green Canyon Way Trail Junction require some trail-finding skills, as some trail markers have faded and there's significant trail debris.

Webfoot

Re: [EDIT REQUEST] Devils Peak from Hunchback Mountain Hike

Post by Webfoot » May 27th, 2019, 12:17 pm

Hello imbellish. Thank you for your feedback. Did your hike stop at the lookout? I ask because your measurement is unexpectedly high. Are you aware of any recent trail realignment that would have lengthened this hike? If you recorded a GPS tracklog are you willing to share it?
  • The official Forest Service PDF gives 9.1 miles one way, but it appears to include the trail all the way to the Kinzel Lake TH: "From the Lookout, continue southeast for 1.2 miles to the southern trailhead at Kinzel Lake/Sherar Burn Road (Forest Road 2613)."
  • GraphHopper gives 8.0 miles one-way to the lookout.
  • The 2017-10-25 track on PeakBagger—the only one that includes this trail segment—measures 8.3 miles using Google Earth.

mountainkat

Post by mountainkat » May 28th, 2019, 9:22 am

Hi, I hiked the Hunchback trail to Devil's Peak last week and I agree with the OP imbellish that the mileage is longer than 15.4. We took only a minor detour (a short distance to the Great Pyramid viewpoint) and my GPS measured 17.8 miles roundtrip.

I'd be happy to share my track with you.

Webfoot

Post by Webfoot » May 28th, 2019, 12:48 pm

mountainkat wrote:
May 28th, 2019, 9:22 am
I'd be happy to share my track with you.
Yes, please. You should be able to attach it to your post using the Attachments "tab" below the Preview / Submit buttons.

Guy

Post by Guy » May 29th, 2019, 2:25 pm

Yeah this hike as always come in at +/- 9 miles each way for me too.
hiking log & photos.
Ad monte summa aut mors

Webfoot

Post by Webfoot » May 29th, 2019, 3:21 pm

I have changed the hike distance to "18 miles" in accord with all these reports. A tracklog would still be of interest, at least personally.