Bridge of the Gods to Timberline Lodge

General discussions on hiking in Oregon and the Pacific Northwest
Leo

Bridge of the Gods to Timberline Lodge

Post by Leo » May 22nd, 2019, 4:12 am

Hello Everyone,

We have never hiked in the PNW, so I am looking for a little input for a 5 day hike June 4-9.
As the subject line indicates, I have an idea for a route but would like some advice.

We are fairly experienced hikers, but I do like to hear input from a few people who are familiar with the area.

So, few questions about this route. Actually, the first question is there a different 40 to 50 mile hike that would be recommended. I kinda want to stay two nights in Timberline June 9 & 10 (we do have a reservation), but we can change directions quickly. Would the Mt Hood loop be a much better option for us?

For the route I am planning, how are the trails, is one of these better than the other? It looks like Eagle Creek is still closed, so I was considering either the PCT or Herman Creek.

Water. Just trying to confirm that finding it shouldn't be an issue this time of year.

Tent sites or hammocks. Thoughts on this one. Are tent sites fairly easy to come across, and will this route be very populated the first week of June?

Transportation. It looks like the Columbia Gorge Express will get us to the Bridge. Getting back to PDX will be multiple buses. Mt Hood Express to Sandy, Bus Sandy to Gresham, and then a Tram to PDX? Is there a better option?

So, for anyone who has read this far and replies - THANKS.

retired jerry

Re: Bridge of the Gods to Timberline Lodge

Post by retired jerry » May 22nd, 2019, 5:03 am

lot of snow from Paradise Park to Timberline Lodge.

Maybe just do a loop, up PCT, down Herman Creek.

pcg

Post by pcg » May 22nd, 2019, 6:16 am

Leo wrote:
May 22nd, 2019, 4:12 am
Would the Mt Hood loop be a much better option for us?
No, it will be completely covered with snow.
Leo wrote:
Water. Just trying to confirm that finding it shouldn't be an issue this time of year.
Plenty of water.
Leo wrote:
...Bus Sandy to Gresham, and then a Tram to PDX?
No tram. Take MAX light rail from Gresham to PDX.

xrp

Post by xrp » May 22nd, 2019, 12:38 pm

Leo wrote:
Hello Everyone,

We have never hiked in the PNW, so I am looking for a little input for a 5 day hike June 4-9.
As the subject line indicates, I have an idea for a route but would like some advice.

We are fairly experienced hikers, but I do like to hear input from a few people who are familiar with the area.
If you were fairly experienced, I would have thought you would have researched your hike better. Much of the Timberline Trail will still be under good amount of snow in early June.

Here's a good map to estimate snow depth: http://adamschneider.net/hiking/snow_depth.html

Maybe you could do Ramona Falls to Cascade Locks or the part of the PCT - from Ollalie Lake Resort up to Barlow Pass.

teachpdx

Post by teachpdx » May 22nd, 2019, 3:18 pm

Way too much snow this early, unless you want a heck of a lot of work and many miles over alpine snowfields.

You could look at some Central Oregon options near Bend or in the Ochocos, as most of that should be snow-free. But putting in any 50+ mile snow-free treks in early June is a big ask, especially with our winter snows.

This would have been a great itinerary for mid-July.
instagram: @remyodyssey

Leo

Post by Leo » May 23rd, 2019, 3:48 am

Awesome! Thanks for all the replies. Getting first hand reports on the snow levels is fantastic. The area I was most concerned about was the last stretch to Timberline. I wasn't sure how that was looking the first week of June. Or if the Mt Hood Loop was an option that time of year.

Retired Jerry - The loop you mentioned PCT to Herman Creek may be the one we settle on. Public transit to Cascade Locks looks pretty straight forward with the Gorge Express.

I am still looking at other routes as well. So if anyone has a great multi-day they would recommend, we are pretty flexible.

Charley

Post by Charley » May 25th, 2019, 7:40 am

Leo wrote:
May 23rd, 2019, 3:48 am
I am still looking at other routes as well. So if anyone has a great multi-day they would recommend, we are pretty flexible.

There are good spring options here:
https://www.oregonhikers.org/field_guid ... ackpacking

One of my early season favorites is the Mill Creek Wilderness loop (there should be water, and probably no snow).

Long trips in the Columbia River Gorge will probably be possible, but might require some kind of shuttling (or hitchhiking) between trailheads.

Best of Luck!
Believe it or not, I barely ever ride a mountain bike.