Green Point Mountain 5/18/2019

This forum is used to share your experiences out on the trails.
Chip Down

Green Point Mountain 5/18/2019

Post by Chip Down » May 18th, 2019, 9:16 pm

Just a few days behind Burnside, I made my first visit to Green Point Mountain.

From Herman Creek trail, I took Casey Creek Trail up to Nick Eaton Ridge. Yep, as the field guide warns, it's a mess. I finally gave up trying to follow it, and just headed directly upslope. Found it again, then lost it again, I don't remember how many times. Around 3400ish it cleared up and was easy to follow the rest of the way to Eaton.

Followed Eaton trail to its end where it meets Gorton Creek Trail, which was completely bare until the junction with the Plateau Cutoff Trail, which I followed along with Trail 418, for a little extra scenery and elevation gain/loss compared to the Gorton trail. Around 4400' the plateau was a sloppy mess in the melt zone, but as I continued up the snow became continuous and deeper, and I gave up on following the trail. I lucked out and found the North Lake Trail junction (of no use to me, but I like finding junctions in the snow).

Continued up Gorton to the disappointing Green Point Mountain, then dropped to the Rainy/Wahtum junction. Huge open junction, lots of unused signboards, a little shelter I wasn't expecting. Continued up to the next high point on the rim, hoping for something better than Green Point, but it was overgrown, no views.

Back to the junction, and the Herman Cutoff trail down. I was apprehensive about that. Didn't know the trail, was worried about fire damage or snow. Encountered neither.

Back at Herman Creek Trail, I took a little side trip to the Herman Creek crossing, and then began my long trudge down to the car. Herman Creek Trail was crowded with hikers and campers, but I never saw a soul on the non-Herman part of my hike.

I figured I'd cover more ground than this today. It was only a little more than 20 miles, but it took a lot out of me. I blame the snow and a bit of bushwhacking.
Attachments
7.JPG

Chip Down

Re: Green Point Mountain 5/18/2019

Post by Chip Down » May 18th, 2019, 9:20 pm

more pics
Attachments
1.jpg
A meadow on Casey Creek Trail.
2.jpg
Aha! The Casey Creek Trail sign at the Nick Eaton junction. I've walked past it at least twice but didn't notice.
3.jpg
A little offtrail fun.
4.jpg
Same as above, but now on top.
5.jpg
I took clown shoes on my hike today.
6.jpg
These insulators are common on Herman Creek, but I was surprised to see one on Herman Cutoff.