Deaths at Panther Creek Falls?

Trip recommendations, current conditions, and other trail related Q&A
rabbit

Deaths at Panther Creek Falls?

Post by rabbit » May 18th, 2019, 12:34 pm

I saw on Instagram that there have been deaths at Panther Creek Falls. “This area is no longer accessible due to recent deaths trying to get to the bottom of the falls. Also due to carelessness & people building an illegal fire almost starting a wildfire.“

Does anyone know anything more about this? I couldn’t find any news stories on it.

squidvicious

Re: Deaths at Panther Creek Falls?

Post by squidvicious » May 18th, 2019, 12:54 pm

https://www.hoodrivernews.com/news/woma ... 65518.html

I know the trail was closed for a while for the investigation of that woman's death, but I don't think that's currently the case. FS says open
https://www.fs.usda.gov/recarea/gifford ... ecid=31868

Aimless

Post by Aimless » May 18th, 2019, 1:07 pm

Last update on that trail was 4/16/19. Always a good idea because website info isn't always updated in a timely way:

"Contact the Mt. Adams Ranger District for current information 509-395-3402."

rabbit

Post by rabbit » May 18th, 2019, 2:30 pm

Thanks for the info.

JustSomeHiker

Post by JustSomeHiker » May 19th, 2019, 4:22 pm

I believe they are referring to the use trails that lead to the base of the waterfall being closed. Last time I was out there in late September/Early October, the forest service had posted multiple signs indicating the lower areas was closed and they had put up orange plastic fencing in an attempt to dissuade people from exploring below the level of the viewing platform.

In my opinion, it now makes the area look even worse since people had trampled the fencing and vandalized some of the signs, but I understand the forest service stance on the matter and respect their wishes.