Rogue River March 2019

This forum is used to share your experiences out on the trails.
retired jerry

Rogue River March 2019

Post by retired jerry » March 20th, 2019, 1:49 pm

I walked down the Rogue River for several days. Perfect time of year.

I got that tick - make sure and treat your clothes with permethrin

As I was walking along there was a skunk in the middle of the trail
20190308_120815.jpg
20190308_120815.jpg (53.46 KiB) Viewed 3598 times
It did not get out of the way. Actually, it started walking towards me. I thought maybe it was rabid.

I picked up this stick that was maybe 6 feet long:
20190308_121115.jpg
Then I started throwing rocks at it (no skunks were hurt)

It ignored the rocks

Then I started hitting it in the side several times (small rocks, no damage done)

Finally the skunk moved off the trail a little. I waved the stick at it. If the skunk was going to spray, I wanted it to spray the stick, not me. I quickly walked past without incident.

drm

Re: Rogue River March 2019

Post by drm » March 21st, 2019, 5:51 am

I assume you did an out-and-back. How far did you get down the trail? A friend and I are planning on doing that in a couple of weeks.

pcg

Post by pcg » March 21st, 2019, 7:32 am

Skunks are naturally very docile, except for some old males who can get cranky. This time of year they are coming out of semi-hibernation and are out and about at daytime. They are reluctant to spray and will stamp their feet and do a handstand before they use their limited supply of smelly stuff. They have poor eyesight and as long as you don't make sudden movements and especially loud noise you won't get sprayed. Once they realize your presence they will amble off, but some seem quite tame. I've even hand fed wild skunks on occasion. They love cantaloupe.

Sean Thomas

Post by Sean Thomas » March 22nd, 2019, 3:05 pm

Nice report Jerry! Do you think Hanging Rock and the wild rogue loop are melted out yet?

bb12creek

Post by bb12creek » March 25th, 2019, 5:30 am

Lots of snow down there still. At 3,800 feet Hanging rock will not be accessible yet.

retired jerry

Post by retired jerry » March 25th, 2019, 6:39 am

http://adamschneider.net/hiking/snow_depth.html

yeah, 20 to 40 inches according to NOAA

but, by the time you got there it'll melt some more. If you don't mind walking on some snow it might be okay, or wait a couple weeks

maybe bring GPS track so you can find trail

when I did wild rogue loop a couple years ago I got two ticks. On this March 2019 trip I got one tick. Make sure and treat clothing with permethrin and check for ticks

buckwheat

Post by buckwheat » May 15th, 2019, 5:11 am

Jerry -

I know its 2 months later than your report here, but I've never been to the Rogue River Trail (which feels a shame, such as why I am rectifying it). I am planning on doing this with another person, and using their car as a shuttle rather than an out-and-back, on Memorial Day Weekend. Anything I should be aware of beyond the friendly skunks?

retired jerry

Post by retired jerry » May 15th, 2019, 5:19 am

It may be hot, prepare for that

Memorial Day weekend could be busy

Make sure and bring headnet for bugs. And DEET or something similar. Long pants and shirt are good.

I've got ticks there a couple times. Treat the outside of shoes, pants with permethrin. I also wear lightweight gaiters and treat them, but I'm unusual :)

Don't go too many miles with a first time backpacker, it may turn her off. It depends on the person, but some people attempt too aggressive the first time and are turned off from doing it again. If you do a thru hike you're committed. An out and back is more flexible.

That is a great hike. Not too much elevation gain which makes it easier. The trail should be in pretty good shape.

drm

Post by drm » May 15th, 2019, 6:12 am

buckwheat wrote:
May 15th, 2019, 5:11 am
I am planning on doing this with another person, and using their car as a shuttle rather than an out-and-back, on Memorial Day Weekend. Anything I should be aware of beyond the friendly skunks?
You are aware that commercial shuttling services are available for the large number of rafters? I don't remember what it costs but it also means your car doesn't sit in the parking lot for days, facing the risk of a break-in. They drive your car to the trailhead the day you are scheduled to get out. Before that it's in a locked parking lot. And of course you save all that time driving back and forth over the mountains.

There will be a lot of people on Memorial Day weekend, but of course that will be a problem for any good, melted-out trail.

HikingDawg

Post by HikingDawg » June 23rd, 2019, 2:34 pm

Hi Jerry,

I'm hiking the Rogue River trail this week. I've not experienced hiking in areas with ticks, as I do most of my hiking in the WA Cascades. I expect it will be pretty warm, and was originally thinking I'd be hiking in running shorts, but now I'm having second thoughts and obsessing a bit about it. In your opinion is that a bad move? (I am planning to re-spray my clothes and tent with permethrin.) Any thoughts you might have would be appreciated.

Thanks!