Mount Margaret Loop

Trip recommendations, current conditions, and other trail related Q&A
keithcomess

Re: Mount Margaret Loop

Post by keithcomess » May 13th, 2019, 4:44 pm

I hope my comment on off-trail hiking and no-permit camping wasn't misinterpreted. It was restricted to the Mount Margaret Loop, the Lakes/Boundary section specifically. When I spoke to a ranger a couple of weeks ago, I was told, "No legal access to St Helen's Lake because we don't permit off-trail hiking from the Boundary Trail and it's permit-only camping in the Lakes/Boundary area." So, I got a permit!

Thanks all!
Keith

teachpdx

Re: Mount Margaret Loop

Post by teachpdx » May 14th, 2019, 1:25 pm

keithcomess wrote:
May 13th, 2019, 4:44 pm
I hope my comment on off-trail hiking and no-permit camping wasn't misinterpreted. It was restricted to the Mount Margaret Loop, the Lakes/Boundary section specifically. When I spoke to a ranger a couple of weeks ago, I was told, "No legal access to St Helen's Lake because we don't permit off-trail hiking from the Boundary Trail and it's permit-only camping in the Lakes/Boundary area." So, I got a permit!

Thanks all!
Keith
Hey, no worries!
I think that most everybody just assumes that all off-trail travel is restricted everywhere within the blowdown area. And that's not the case. You can't off-trail south from the Coldwater Peak or Boundary Trail because that's the restricted area (St. Helens Lake), but going off-trail north of it between Ridge Camp and Norway Pass is allowed. And this includes off-trail travel in the entire high lakes area. Boot Lake, Heart Lake, Minnie Peak, Mt. Venus... all fair game for some off-trail adventuring... just not overnight camping. Off-trail hiking isn't prohibited along the entire loop... the only prohibition is southward travel from the Coldwater Peak and Boundary trails.
instagram: @remyodyssey