Phlox Point from Kueffler Road

This forum is used to share your experiences out on the trails.
Sugar Pine

Phlox Point from Kueffler Road

Post by Sugar Pine » May 11th, 2019, 7:35 pm

Having hiked west from Kueffler Rd, we wondered about the old road which headed east toward Hardy Ridge. We found an old post to follow, so off we went, although counterclockwise.
viewtopic.php?f=8&t=17524&hilit=kueffler
We started down the old road and soon found we were heading in the wrong direction, straight to the creek instead of north. We backtracked and found a turnoff to another old road, but with more brush.
No problem crossing East Woodward Creek - rocks to hop across.
IMG_0600.JPG
Past the crossing the road/trail was more open. We noticed a cairn to the left of the trail. A few years ago I found a link to a gorge mapset on Oregon Hikers and downloaded it to my gps. The map showed a waterfall nearby and a trail/route to it and back to our original trail. My friend and I discussed this map is the one reason I have not switched entirely to Gaia, but still use my Garmin 62s. The trail to the falls was pretty easy. We first arrived at a small cascade.
IMG_0544.JPG
Around the bend was a beautiful falls with logs stuck across the rocks.
IMG_0547.JPG
IMG_0552.JPG
We then backtracked a bit and steeply up a rocky ridge.
IMG_0561.JPG
This led back to our original road. Parts were green and overgrown, other times dry and dark.
IMG_0570.JPG
We found some evidence of wildlife.
0511191117_HDR.jpg
0511191153_HDR.jpg
Passed by the car and then into a clearcut.
IMG_0578.JPG
We intersected a new looking gravel road. We followed it uphill to great views of Table Mtn and the ridge where the PCT turns west. Looked like we could follow the road to Three Corner Rock, but walking on a gravel road was not appealing. We turned southeast and had a hard time finding the old road which goes south parallel to Hardy Creek. After heading up to the powerlines and back down, we walked into the brush where the road should be and soon found it and a couple of flags. Shortly, the route was obvious, although much more overgrown than the route north. There were a couple markers on the trees.
IMG_0584.JPG
We arrived at the gate.
0511191323.jpg
The trail had less brush and overhanging vine maple at this point. Soon, we arrived at another old road and headed down to the Hardy Creek bridge. And, then back up again to Phlox Point. We saw a few other groups as we headed up. We had lovely views.
IMG_0591.JPG
We bushwacked down. Didn't see a path. When we reached our road back, this stump marked our exit.
IMG_0599.JPG
Not sure if it is the same stump from the previous post.
On our way back down we met another hiker, Eric Peterson, whose gorge mapset posting led us to the waterfall! Thank you Eric, it was a great detour to the falls.

Webfoot

Re: Phlox Point from Kueffler Road

Post by Webfoot » May 11th, 2019, 8:04 pm

Do you mind sharing coordinates for those falls?

Eric Peterson

Post by Eric Peterson » May 12th, 2019, 6:31 am

Nice meeting you two out there - was amazed anyone else was parked at the 'TH', glad I bumped into you.

On the mapset, all I did was compile data from many sources and some of my own tracks. Was great meeting someone entirely new who is still using the data! Most of the credit goes to Don Nelsen and Guy Meacham.

The route/rd grade up to the cut off for Phlox is really getting tangled before Woodward creek.

More boots on the ground is needed soon.

OT from the upper rd grade to Phlox is super gnarly now also! Been at least 4 years since I used this route.

Checked out a half mile of the old Russ Jolley trail and also getting pretty tangly in there and been 7 years since treading this, need to go back and do more in there before it's lost...

Russ Jolley tread -

Unnamed creek -

Don't think the DIY bridge at Woodward creek is viable anymore :(

Nice views from Phlox Point -

Location of East Woodward Falls, which I didn't have time for today -

Webfoot

Post by Webfoot » May 12th, 2019, 11:40 am

Eric Peterson wrote:
May 12th, 2019, 6:31 am
Location of East Woodward Falls
Thanks!

Born2BBrad

Post by Born2BBrad » May 13th, 2019, 12:17 pm

This brings back great memories. It’s been a couple years since I hiked that route. The best times of year to do that trip are after the flow of East Woodard Creek subsides, but before the spring leaves make it overgrown, or after the leaves have dropped in fall. I used to bring my lopper, Cyndi, with me to clear the overgrown section, but not for a few years. (Did you catch that one? Cyndi Lauper…)

Regarding the way down from Phlox Point back to the old logging road, there is a specific route that can be followed that is much easier than randomly bushwhacking down. There is also a 1+ mile shortcut from the East Hardy Ridge road where it meets the trail down to the trail that goes to the bridge over Hardy Creek.

Was the boot rock still there?

Hey Eric! Good to see you out on the trails still. I still use your Gorge mapset every year. We gotta do a Loony hike again someday.

Too bad about the DIY bridge. It just proved that creek becomes a rager from time to time.

Hike on!

Brad
Make now always the most precious time. Now will never come again.
- Jean Luc Picard

Link to GPX tracks
Link to Trip Reports

Sugar Pine

Post by Sugar Pine » May 13th, 2019, 9:21 pm

My friend noticed boot rock, although I walked past it. Not sure I understand the location of the shortcut, but we did take a quicker route to the equestrian bridge over Hardy creek - green track vs. red track.
Attachments
Hardy Ridge.JPG