Need ideas for First week of May

Trip recommendations, current conditions, and other trail related Q&A
jkokbaker

Need ideas for First week of May

Post by jkokbaker » April 18th, 2019, 12:07 pm

I’m doing a 90-100 mile trip over 6-7 days the first week of May. My plan right now is to hike the Snake River Trail and connect with the Bench Trail in Hell’s canyon. I’m going by myself and would like to do a hike where I will see other people. Does anyone have a suggestion of a similar length hike with minimal snow that’s within 8-10 hours of Bend that is moderately traveled where I will see other people. I prefer a loop hike as I won’t have any way to get back to my car. Thanks for any suggestions.

drm

Re: Need ideas for First week of May

Post by drm » April 19th, 2019, 7:23 am

It's hard to find that many snowless miles this early in the season. You will probably see other people on your Hells Canyon route while south of Temperance Creek. But it's a lot more wild and remote to the north of Temperance. You could go to the Wenaha River Trail. If you can get across the now-bridgeless Crooked Creek, you might get some decent mileage in before hitting snow, but not that many. But you probably wouldn't see anybody there. Maybe the Umpqua River trail? But for a loop that long in May, especially early May, I think your existing plan is probably the only way in-state. All other options will be out-and-backs.

jkokbaker

Post by jkokbaker » April 19th, 2019, 10:17 am

I guess a week of no socialization could be nice, guess I will find out. I could not think of anything else myself, so I thought I would ask. I have been wanting to do a snake river and/or hells canyon hike for awhile, now is as good as anytime. I wanted to do the hike with someone else but I don’t know anybody who wants to hike 15 mile days for 6 or 7 days in a row, so by myself it is. At least it will be beautiful, I can take my time each day and all the pics I want.

Aimless

Post by Aimless » April 19th, 2019, 10:25 am

I have no firsthand experience with the Oregon Desert Trail (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oregon_Desert_Trail), but as I understand it, it's more of a route with some markers than a developed trail. If you hiked a 100 mile section I am pretty sure you'd have plenty of solitude. Other than that, I have no further information to offer regarding it.

retired jerry

Post by retired jerry » April 19th, 2019, 11:29 am

In that case, how about Pueblo Mountain

It's in Sullivan's books

There's at least one trip report here, several years ago

drm

Post by drm » April 19th, 2019, 1:45 pm

I think the Hells Canyon Wilderness is in part the wildest wilderness in the PNW. So for your loop you have to be ready for route-finding, trails that just dissipate into the tall grass, etc, rattlers too. I don't know your experience level, but while some trails there are very well worn, and a few are kept up to equestrian standards, some barely exist at all. One example of a trail that barely exists is Cougar Creek. And some of the well worn ones may be very eroded. So you need to prepared for that kind of route. It has been a few years and maybe they fixed up some of them, but resources are limited. It's just a place where you have to be ready to roll with the punches that nature throws at you, and on that loop you will probably get a few more than in other areas.