Public lands hate you

Chat about non-hiking topics. The least serious of the forums on the site!
Bosterson

Public lands hate you

Post by Bosterson » April 9th, 2019, 6:27 pm

https://www.theguardian.com/environment ... s-hate-you

GLORIOUS!

I'm not usually in favor of public shaming, but fingers crossed this is the first step towards an Instagram-free future...
#pnw #bestlife #bitingflies #favoriteyellowcap #neverdispleased

Chip Down

Re: Public lands hate you

Post by Chip Down » April 9th, 2019, 6:46 pm

I'm thinking about closing down my Instagram selfie album to avoid censure. Oh, wait, I don't have an Instagram account, and I've never taken a selfie. Nevermind. :lol:

Aimless

Post by Aimless » April 9th, 2019, 6:53 pm

I've never taken a selfie

You don't live in a beer bottle?

Chip Down

Post by Chip Down » April 9th, 2019, 7:04 pm

Actually, I will admit that my reflection often appears in beer bottles, but never intentionally.
Maybe if I was better looking I'd photograph myself more ;)

BigBear

Post by BigBear » April 12th, 2019, 12:09 pm

I have mixed thoughts about public shaming.

I am against the retroactive shaming of what someone said or did at the time it was okay to do it. For example, Biden is being shamed for not kissing a person and patting another on the shoulders to encourage them to go up on stage. Only long after the incident have the persons thought the incidents were even incidents at all.

Then there's the pointing out of something that is illegal at the time and the narcissistic person(s) said to themselves "hell, I want to do it anyway and the law doesn't apply to me, so I'll do it and post it on the web." As the article mentions, NPS is using these posts to prosecute. These violators should be publicly shamed for (1) committing the offense, (2) being too stupid to keep it to themselves, and (3) asking for public forgiveness for the offense that they knew was wrong when they committed it.

There is some major disconnect in people's reasoning that makes them think "the law doesn't apply to me."