Silver Star North Ridge via 4109 road

This forum is used to share your experiences out on the trails.
Don Nelsen

Silver Star North Ridge via 4109 road

Post by Don Nelsen » March 25th, 2019, 10:49 am

The good news is that the snow is now gone from the 41 road and the 1100 road. The not so good news is that the 4109 road is as bad as ever and still snow covered past about 1/4 mile up. We managed to get 6/10 of a mile up and past the worst of the holes and ruts but the snow was deep and rutted past that.

Looking uphill from where we parked:

A quarter mile farther and it looked like this:

The snow was slushy but our snowshoes hardly sank in at all so we made good time.

At one mile up the road there's a switchback and no wheeled vehicles had been past there this season but an odd set of wide tracks, apparently weeks old continued all the way to the TH.

The tracks were similar to snowmobile tracks but were way too consistently spaced for that. Something had gone up the road and come back down without sinking in and making ruts. More on this later.

Above the TH, we set first tracks.

There was no wind at all yesterday so this was an unusual winter's day for this location. Unfortunately, the clouds didn't give us a break and rather than forge upwards in the fog and mist, we called it a day at 3,800' and retreated.

Shortly after we turned around we encountered a couple of guys hiking up, one with a snowboard and one with skis. We exchanged pleasantries and continued on our way. They mentioned that this was their second try and were there three weeks before but were foiled by too much wind and driving snow. I was thinking, boy, this guy with the snowboard is tough, hiking all that way with what looked to be a heavy load. I was soon to find out how he did it:

I made a good haul of trash on the way back too. The miscreants had tossed a short case box and a 6-pack box so I was able to carry all this back with even some in my pack. It all looked to be recent and atop the snow:

Hike # 38,
5.6 miles, 1594' EG, 3:21 total time.
Last edited by Don Nelsen on March 26th, 2019, 9:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Everything works in the planning stage" - Kelly

"If you don't do it this year, you will be one year older when you do" - Warren Miller

retired jerry

Re: Silver Star North Ridge via 4109 road

Post by retired jerry » March 25th, 2019, 11:04 am

interesting vehicle

I haven't been up there in several years, must be time for another visit, thanks for the report/reminder

thanks for hauling out trash, what's wrong with people???

Webfoot

Post by Webfoot » March 25th, 2019, 11:48 am

retired jerry wrote:
March 25th, 2019, 11:04 am
thanks for hauling out trash, what's wrong with people???
+1

justpeachy

Post by justpeachy » March 26th, 2019, 6:46 am

Interesting! Thanks for the report. I'm surprised that the driver of that snow vehicle didn't try to take that thing up the trail.

As for the trash, I can't say I'm surprised. Disheartened, yes. Surprised, no. Thanks for packing it out.

Chip Down

Post by Chip Down » March 26th, 2019, 5:34 pm

Excellent TR! Not clear on why you turned back though. Because it wasn't sunny? :|

Regarding the beer detritus: I'd cut them a wee bit of slack if it was decent beer.

I recently came across Coors bottles strewn about a TH along with a plastic bag of garbage. Both were fresh. I assume some jerks said "hey, I know, let's drive up to a trailhead, drink bad beer, dump the bottles, and leave a bag of garbage behind".

From childhood, we're taught to revere the notion of one-person-one-vote, the glorious value of democracy, we're all equal, blah blah blah...but it pisses me off that these degenerate asswipes get to cast a ballot that carries as much weight as mine. Call me elitist, but I think I'm better than them.

Wow, I'm getting way off-topic here! But Don taunted me :lol:

Don Nelsen

Post by Don Nelsen » March 26th, 2019, 5:58 pm

Chip Down wrote:
March 26th, 2019, 5:34 pm
Excellent TR! Not clear on why you turned back though. Because it wasn't sunny? :|
No, because it looked like I wasn't going to be able to see in the fog and mist. Oh, yeah, Kelly was waiting down below, far behind and wasn't happy with the long road walk. One must tend to domestic issues. She caught up but was done by then and it was time to retreat.
Chip Down wrote:
Regarding the beer detritus: I'd cut them a wee bit of slack if it was decent beer.
There wasn't anything worth drinking unless one was already drunk and maybe not even then.
Chip Down wrote:
I recently came across Coors bottles strewn about a TH along with a plastic bag of garbage. Both were fresh. I assume some jerks said "hey, I know, let's drive up to a trailhead, drink bad beer, dump the bottles, and leave a bag of garbage behind".
Yep, that's how it happens.
Chip Down wrote:
From childhood, we're taught to revere the notion of one-person-one-vote, the glorious value of democracy, we're all equal, blah blah blah...but it pisses me off that these degenerate asswipes get to cast a ballot that carries as much weight as mine. Call me elitist, but I think I'm better than them.

Wow, I'm getting way off-topic here! But Don taunted me :lol:
You think that's taunting! Just wait until I get you out on a trail!!
"Everything works in the planning stage" - Kelly

"If you don't do it this year, you will be one year older when you do" - Warren Miller

Chip Down

Post by Chip Down » March 27th, 2019, 7:06 pm

Don Nelsen wrote:
March 26th, 2019, 5:58 pm
You think that's taunting! Just wait until I get you out on a trail!!
I should warn you, it takes a lot to lure Chip Down onto a trail ;) (unless it's a means of access to the real route)

Oh, I just had a thought: Unlikely, but maybe the beer-swilling degenerates were the folks who parked that contraption at the TH.