Olympic National Park Permits

General discussions on hiking in Oregon and the Pacific Northwest
K.Wagner

Olympic National Park Permits

Post by K.Wagner » March 17th, 2019, 4:42 pm

I just learned that the ONP is going with the permit system through Recreation.gov.
https://www.nps.gov/olym/planyourvisit/ ... ations.htm
The permits open up March 18, the same day that the Mt St Helens permit dash happens. This could lead to a very frustrating day.
Kelly
There is no shortcut to anyplace worth going to.

PM me about the soon to be released:
Skamania 231
"How to really get off the beaten path in Skamania County"

CMH

Re: Olympic National Park Permits

Post by CMH » March 20th, 2019, 3:05 pm

Were you able to get a permit?

I'm curious what you're planning on doing there?

I'm planning a hike from Staircase to Port Angeles it doesn't go through quota areas and its just me, so I don't anticipate having much trouble getting a permit.

Have you hiked along this path much? As far as special gear, I was considering a bug face net, poles for creek crossings, a bear bag and line (bear cans aren't required along my route I don't think), and maybe my Kahtoola nano spikes for crossing slippery logs. Any advice?

K.Wagner

Re: Olympic National Park Permits

Post by K.Wagner » March 20th, 2019, 3:59 pm

I actually was not planning on going into the ONP this year. I was notified of the new permit system by the WTA news letter.

I did part of your route a lot of years ago (45??), all I remember about it was that there was a lot of elevation gain!

I just took a quick look at the site. Bear canisters are required in some areas (but I don't think they are required on your route). There are a lot of permits available still, but for example Flapjack Lakes only has 6 slots.
Kelly
There is no shortcut to anyplace worth going to.

PM me about the soon to be released:
Skamania 231
"How to really get off the beaten path in Skamania County"