Coming Soon

Introduce yourself to the group! We welcome novice and expert alike! We especially love hearing from those new to Portland and those new to hiking
quielo

Coming Soon

Post by quielo » March 7th, 2019, 6:10 pm

Was just up in the area last weekend looking at houses with my wife and kids. Looking to get out in the Cascades when the house closes, whenever that is.

I was looking for an aspirational hike for myself and my two seventh graders. It has to be a real peak but nothing that needs ropes. Something to keep us all focused on getting better until we try it early fall.

Open to suggestions.

TIA,

Jim

Chip Down

Re: Coming Soon

Post by Chip Down » March 7th, 2019, 8:13 pm

Hmm...Cascades, 7th graders, aspirational but no ropes...I'd like to say Middle Sister, but realistically South Sister is easier (but insanely crowded these days, I hear). Research those two, decide if Middle is sensible, if not then go South.

Another possibility is to go north to Goat Rocks, between Adams and Rainier. A respectable alpine area, less crowded, countless opportunities to consider.

Both options above are possible as day trips, but more casually would be weekend excursions.

Welcome aboard, happy to have you! :D

quielo

Post by quielo » March 8th, 2019, 9:38 pm

Thank you Chip. I'll look at both.

sgyoung

Post by sgyoung » March 15th, 2019, 4:44 pm

If you're going to be closer to Portland than Bend, Mount Saint Helens is another good option. The permit system is annoying but at least keeps the crowds down.

It's less elevation gain than South Sister but still a real summit that feels like an accomplishment. Plus, the crater is a unique feature that should impress 7th graders.