Redaction Point and Arrowhead Falls

This forum is used to share your experiences out on the trails.
Chip Down

Redaction Point and Arrowhead Falls

Post by Chip Down » March 2nd, 2019, 10:18 pm

Redaction Point is a gorge treasure. Close to town, relatively high TH, loop opportunities. Amazing it hasn't been overrun by the instagram idiots.

I was worried there would be too much snow (ditch the car and walk up the last mile of road to the TH) or too little snow (basically a summer hike but with miserable weather). But it was Goldilocks, just enough snow to make it interesting.

I was the first to the TH. Amazed to find it plowed. Followed boot-track up (surprising) until it got a little sketchy. I retreated to a little wind-protected grotto, where I put my spikes on and grabbed an axe in each hand. I was embarrassed to be so over-equipped, where I could see nothing but boot prints (i.e. no evidence of traction devices or axes, or even treking poles). My embarrassment faded when the footprints ended abruptly at a steep icy gully. Ha! They gave up. I continued on, eventually failed, back down, over, up again, success.

Redaction point was every bit as brutal as I expected. I'd been protected from the wind on my ascent, but on top it was savage. Hard to stand, and given the exposure, I was occasionally on knees. I was grateful for the virgin snow, knowing I was the first to stand here this winter. I'm kidding, of course. But I bet I was the first to reach that point in the last week or two. Good enough.

I continued up Redaction Ridge, finding my own way where the trail was buried. Arrowhead Canyon was to my right, so I really couldn't get lost. Even so, I found myself confused when I saw a big snowy opening through the trees. Came to realize it was the powerline corridor. Shocked I was there so soon.

Backtracked and dropped to the top of Arrowhead Falls. Had planned to drop in to Arrowhead Canyon and follow the creek back to (almost) my car, but the drop into the canyon spooked me. I've done it bare, but snow was sketchy. If it was firm consolidated snow and I had crampons, I wouldn't hesitate.

I returned essentially the way I came, but closer to edge of canyon for better scenery. Snow was terrible, very soft/deep. Eventually met up with my ascent route.

Close to my car, followed footprints back up, this time close to creek at canyon bottom, until the footprints stopped at a slide. Wow, I was amazed at how timid people were. But I gave up too, as it was maybe an hour from sunset, and I've been to the falls before. I needed an excuse to turn back.
Attachments
0.jpg
This is where it got tricky (others retreated a bit up that gully).
1.jpg
On my first attempt, this is where I gave up.
2.jpg
There we go, made it. Actually, this may have been an afternoon pic on the way back down. Zoom in and check out the blowing snow. Crazy!
3.jpg
Again, note the blowing snow.
4.jpg
Looking down on Redaction Point as I continued up the ridge.
5.jpg
Wow, I'm at the utility corridor already!
6.jpg
Looking down Arrowhead Canyon, a bit above the falls.
7.jpg
Odd, no evident purpose for this blaze, but perhaps it made sense at some time.
8.jpg
Umm, no thanks.
9.jpg

Chip Down

Re: Redaction Point and Arrowhead Falls

Post by Chip Down » March 2nd, 2019, 10:28 pm

Oh, I almost forgot, I wanted to share some pics from "nicer" days:
[drat, can't find the one I had in mind, don't know where I filed it]
Attachments
20170603_114824 - Copy.jpg

Chip Down

Post by Chip Down » March 3rd, 2019, 12:03 am

Found my other pics (still on my phone). The swing seems to be gone.
Attachments
20170402_072152.jpg
20170402_090705.jpg
20170402_181239.jpg
20170402_092333.jpg
20170402_154819.jpg

Thuja

Post by Thuja » March 3rd, 2019, 6:38 am

Last edited by Thuja on March 8th, 2019, 7:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Webfoot

Post by Webfoot » March 3rd, 2019, 7:53 am

acorn woodpecker

Post by acorn woodpecker » March 3rd, 2019, 12:23 pm

Nice, Chip. It's like January 2017 when every mountain in the gorge became an alpine mountaineering route. Always wanted to at least get to the point (and beyond) in conditions like this, but have been in that area in nearly every other condition. I hauled a metal chair down to the trailhead and dismantled a fire ring from the point a couple years ago. One can still get solitude in the area, but word is getting out about the point (it made it into the latest edition of a guidebook) so your digital cloaking type isn't enough to stem the tide!

johnspeth

Post by johnspeth » March 4th, 2019, 10:46 am

You complain of "instagramming" yet you disregard the essence of your complaint.

BigBear

Post by BigBear » March 4th, 2019, 12:38 pm

I do not believe your "blaze" was a blaze, it's just a section of bark that rotted off the dead alder tree.

Most of the old blazes were a head and torso (to distinguish them from a scrape or some other deformation in the bark)...and nearly all of them were on conifers and not deciduous trees which tend to have shorter lives due to their fast growth.

Thuja

Post by Thuja » March 4th, 2019, 7:14 pm

Last edited by Thuja on March 8th, 2019, 7:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

retired jerry

Post by retired jerry » March 4th, 2019, 7:54 pm

I'm still waiting for someone to reveal where this is, must be west end of gorge. Too lazy to look it up. Some of the best mysteries are left unsolved :)