CottonwoodCanyon - 1-24-19 - Pinnacles Trail

This forum is used to share your experiences out on the trails.
arieshiker

CottonwoodCanyon - 1-24-19 - Pinnacles Trail

Post by arieshiker » January 26th, 2019, 11:19 am

Short report on a short rehab hike as I try to get back in condition from some forced couch potato time. This was my 8th hike on this trail, and it never ceases to be enjoyable. With the river and potential for wildlife, and the scenery, it's always a little different each time. Only wildlife this trip was a very large flock of Canuck Geese, but past trips have been blessed with large herds of bighorn sheep and river otters. The river is rising nicely after being almost shallow enough to wide across just a few months back. Still not very crowded - I didn't encounter anyone until I was almost back to the trailhead. My hike only took me out to the 3-mile bench, and for photos I focused mainly on the trail (old road bed) for those who've not been out to the canyon. As usual the sun sits in your face most of the way out, but as it gets a bit higher, it's more tolerable. Won't be long it'll be high enough not to bother but will turn the canyon into a furnace - gotta pick your battles. For those who aren't keeping track, in addition to the campground, they now have four cabins to rent - check out the park website for details.
Attachments
CanuckGeese.jpg
Canadian Geese on the move
1-trailhead.jpg
trailhead
2-lookingbackattrailhead.jpg
looking back at trailhead
3-overwatchbench.jpg
bench near start of trail
4-earlypartoftrail.jpg
early part of trail
5-nearingfirstmilebench.jpg
nearing mile one bench
6-halfwayintosecondmile.jpg
halfway into second mile
7a-nearing2milebench.jpg
nearing 2-mile bench
7b-2milebench.jpg
2-mile bench
8-nearing3milebench.jpg
nearing 3-mile bench
9-3milebench.JPG
3-mile bench

teachpdx

Re: CottonwoodCanyon - 1-24-19 - Pinnacles Trail

Post by teachpdx » January 29th, 2019, 11:23 am

I'm looking forward to checking out these cabins sometime soon.

A great base for local exploration, and priced at a steal for a place that sleeps 8.
instagram: @remyodyssey