Oregon Hikers Maps feature is dark

Use this forum to ask questions about how to use this website, or to make any general comments about how it works
Martell

Re: Oregon Hikers Maps feature is dark

Post by Martell » October 31st, 2018, 6:19 am

I was able to make an account, but today it locks up on "Enable Google Maps Platform." Maybe tomorrow.
-Dan
Site Tech Helper

gnarlynomad

Post by gnarlynomad » January 17th, 2019, 2:27 pm

Any plans to get this guy up and running again?

I'm REALLY missing this feature =(

(BTW - I really appreciate the site and everyone's contributions!)

Martell

Post by Martell » January 18th, 2019, 9:10 am

gnarlynomad wrote:
January 17th, 2019, 2:27 pm
Any plans to get this guy up and running again?

I'm REALLY missing this feature =(

(BTW - I really appreciate the site and everyone's contributions!)
Thanks for the bump on this. I just went in again and the process is working this time. We now have a key and it appears to be working.
-Dan
Site Tech Helper

gnarlynomad

Post by gnarlynomad » January 18th, 2019, 12:26 pm

Awesome!

Thanks so much, Martell!

Martell

Post by Martell » January 19th, 2019, 2:47 pm

Unfortunately it looks like this is going to eat up the $300 credit they gave me. I'm surprised because the first 25k loads per day are free. We'll have some time to come up with another solution though.

I'm going to look to see what is causing it to load so much, just to verify it's normal traffic.

Anyone want to help convert this over to Leaflet?
-Dan
Site Tech Helper

Martell

Post by Martell » January 19th, 2019, 2:54 pm

Martell wrote:
January 19th, 2019, 2:47 pm
Unfortunately it looks like this is going to eat up the $300 credit they gave me. I'm surprised because the first 25k loads per day are free. We'll have some time to come up with another solution though.

I'm going to look to see what is causing it to load so much, just to verify it's normal traffic.

Anyone want to help convert this over to Leaflet?
I may be misinterpreting the billing. According to the price chart it says "Free up to 25,000 map loads per day"

On the billing page it says the following:
Screen Shot 2019-01-19 at 3.11.28 PM.png
Is it just showing the credit for the up to 25k loads? And this won't eat into my $300 free credit?

I'm not used to Google Cloud, so hoping someone with experience knows better. It triggered my $1 billing alert and I got nervous.
-Dan
Site Tech Helper

adamschneider

Post by adamschneider » January 19th, 2019, 4:29 pm

Martell wrote:
January 19th, 2019, 2:54 pm
I may be misinterpreting the billing. According to the price chart it says "Free up to 25,000 map loads per day"
That's the OLD pricing. Under the new regime, starting last summer, you get 28,000 map loads per MONTH. But you don't really get a fixed number of map loads per month, you get $200 worth of whatever per month. And map loads are $7 per 1000 or 0.7¢ each, so the 164 map loads in your account cost $1.15 — which is well within the free tier.

They don't actually take money out of your credit card until you go over $200 in a month. And you can theoretically set quotas so that it never happens.

aiwetir

Post by aiwetir » January 20th, 2019, 1:10 am

Isn't Leaflet just a Javascript library? Where are the map tiles going to come from?
- Michael

RobFromRedland

Post by RobFromRedland » January 20th, 2019, 6:45 am

aiwetir wrote:
January 20th, 2019, 1:10 am
Isn't Leaflet just a Javascript library? Where are the map tiles going to come from?
Leaflet is a javascript library, but there are a LOT of freely available tile servers to choose from. ESRI hosts quite a few options themselves and there are others. Other than the aerial views, the map options are much better with Leaflet than with Google. Google has one of the highest resolution aerial maps, however.
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: WOW! What a ride! - Hunter S. Thompson

aiwetir

Post by aiwetir » January 21st, 2019, 1:09 am

I've never seen anything from ESRI stating they have free tile servers. OSM is very generous but has some limits too. It's relatively easy to grab any WMTS url and plug it into your project and fly under the radar until something you do goes big. I don't think OH is going to do anything like that.

I've found that Bing often exceeds Google in the aerial department. I think Mapbox uses Digital Globe as their aerials are kinda crappy until you zoom in past 1:3000 then they get really good in many places. The guy at Mapbox gave me the impression that they could work out a deal with non-profits.
- Michael