Am I an insensitive jerk, or is the USFS wound a bit tight?

General discussions on hiking in Oregon and the Pacific Northwest
Chip Down

Am I an insensitive jerk, or is the USFS wound a bit tight?

Post by Chip Down » December 30th, 2018, 12:21 pm

Early in December I drove as far as I could on a road, and dumped my car at the gate. There was no signage, such as "do not block gate" or "no parking". Still, a sensible person won't block a gate. You never know when emergency response might be needed (maybe a SAR incident or something). So I pulled way over against the guardrail.

Upon my return, I saw multiple docs on my windshield. One was the color and size of something official. Looked like a citation. The other was hand written on white paper. I assumed the worst: an official reprimand, and also note(s) telling me what a jackass I am.

Wasn't that bad. A USFS warning, and a note from somebody who backed into my car when they were turning around. Had it been a citation, I would have been enraged, but I can swallow a warning.

Weird that they don't post this as a no-parking zone. Or is it so obvious that anybody except me would know?

If you care, it's the bridge over Sandy River on the way to Ramona Falls and Burnt Lake.
Attachments
a.jpg
no, that's not me in the middle, I'm on the left
b.jpg
1.jpg
might as well add this
2.jpg
and this

Water

Re: Am I an insensitive jerk, or is the USFS wound a bit tight?

Post by Water » December 30th, 2018, 6:18 pm

All of the above Chip! :lol:

Just kidding. As long as the gate could open and traffic wasn't being impeded, I think the FS is looking for something to do.. They're so understaffed and over-stretched you know.

It's like the absolutely asinine amount of "No Parking" signs for miles around Lower Lewis Falls on the shoulder/side of road. I'm actually curious under what guidelines and authority the FS is allowed to do that. I'm guessing it's like dog mountain where it's shoehorning something to do with safety as a roundabout way to achieve a management goal.
Feel Free to Feel Free

Lurch

Post by Lurch » December 31st, 2018, 2:26 am

Personally, I would disagree...

From the looks of things you're either in front of the gate or damn near to it? Also in the approach to the bridge? There's other parking not in the roadway, pretty damn close to that if I recall correctly?

As someone who has had gates blocked, trapping rescue vehicles and personnel inside the gate, has had to squeeze large rescue rigs through spaces they shouldn't go, because, "you can open the gate, go around" people don't understand a turning radius, especially of large trucks pulling trailers. And witnessed resources being delayed hours as a result of gate blocking, that resulted in citations and towed vehicles, I have very little pity for someone remotely blocking thru access. Even if you weren't impeding "that much", someone else will stack up behind it beside your cause you're already there... Precedence matters

Aimless

Post by Aimless » December 31st, 2018, 10:45 am

To be honest, Chip, your car looks like it really is impeding access to the bridge, especially if the gates swing out away from, instead of into, the bridge. That's a tight right angle turn at the bridge approach and emergency vehicles can be much larger than passenger cars.

retired jerry

Post by retired jerry » December 31st, 2018, 12:34 pm

So, then the consensus is yes, Chip is an insensitive jerk? :)

retired jerry

Post by retired jerry » December 31st, 2018, 12:35 pm

But we love him anyway? :)

Lurch

Post by Lurch » December 31st, 2018, 12:48 pm

Yes to the former, I'm not sure about the latter ;)

P.S. Looks like they do normally swing that gate out, although it may be able to be opened in, I'm not sure. Been awhile since I've had to open it!

BigBear

Post by BigBear » January 2nd, 2019, 12:37 pm

Interesting censorship going on here at OregonHikers, I guess you can't point out when a crime has been committed, but you can use this website for sympathy when you do disregard the regulations.

PS: I'm certain this post will be censored away too.

Titogoeshiking3

Post by Titogoeshiking3 » January 2nd, 2019, 2:32 pm

Just curious, how did that gold SUV get in there?

Water

Post by Water » January 2nd, 2019, 2:43 pm

BigBear wrote:
January 2nd, 2019, 12:37 pm
Interesting censorship going on here at OregonHikers, I guess you can't point out when a crime has been committed, but you can use this website for sympathy when you do disregard the regulations.

PS: I'm certain this post will be censored away too.
as someone who loves to rabble rouse, you've really got my interest! Can you try to vaguely describe what criminal act was committed? Surely you're not saying parking like that is criminal...
Feel Free to Feel Free