Mt. Defiance 22-Oct-09

This forum is used to share your experiences out on the trails.
VanMarmot

Mt. Defiance 22-Oct-09

Post by VanMarmot » October 23rd, 2009, 8:05 am

The break in the weather on Thursday gave me a chance for a hike up Mt. Defiance in the Fall. The gray overcast that had settled over Portland disappeared just past Cascade Locks, giving way to an ever shifting mix of sun and clouds. My preferred route is up the Starvation Ridge trail because it offers the occasional view to ease the climb. Along the way there was a good view of Dog Mountain with its personal cloud cap.

It was relatively clear lower on the mountain, but about halfway up the ridge trail, mist and then clouds slowly flowed across the landscape.

By the time I reached and got above the boulder field at 3200', the clouds had withdrawn to the valleys and Mt. Adams came into view.

Aside from the shifting clouds, there was almost no wind and temperatures were mild - almost humid in spots. This lack of wind meant that some delicate features went undisturbed.

And, at Warren Lake, the surface was absolutely unruffled and glass smooth.

The open boulder field just below the summit provided an expansive view of Rainier and Adams, while, from the summit, there was the usual great view of Hood. All the big peaks, including St Helens, wore the first snows of the season.

The Fall colors were probably a week or so past their peak, but still vivid against the darker, mist-shrouded trees.

I almost always descend the official Mt. Defiance trail because it’s a little more gradual and easier on the knees than heading down Starvation Ridge. Of course, once you leave the summit boulder fields there are no views. But I did (eventually) get a nice look, through Falls colors, from the Defiance trail across to Starvation Ridge where I’d started in the morning.

BaileyBoy

Re: Mt. Defiance 22-Oct-09

Post by BaileyBoy » October 23rd, 2009, 11:13 am

Nice report and very nice photos. You've really been covering the territory lately.

Skip

VanMarmot

Post by VanMarmot » October 23rd, 2009, 1:34 pm

BaileyBoy wrote:Nice report and very nice photos. You've really been covering the territory lately.

Skip
Thanks! I've had a little more free time than usual available lately. Usually free time and good weather don't coincide but I caught a break here...

Splintercat

Post by Splintercat » October 23rd, 2009, 5:12 pm

Beautiful photos! Very nice - thanks!

Tom :)

ErinL

Post by ErinL » October 26th, 2009, 3:36 pm

Very nice report. The pictures and your descriptions almost make a hike up Defiance seem peaceful. Almost.

Erin