redwoods, 022618

This forum is used to share your experiences out on the trails.
Don Nelsen

redwoods, 022618

Post by Don Nelsen » June 28th, 2018, 7:43 pm

OK, so this is a somewhat tardy TR, but some of you may be heading out on vacation and might want to take this one in:

Last Feb. We drove down to Marysville CA to bag a couple of county HPs and on the way back decided that a detour into the redwoods would be a good idea. The weather was great, cold, but clear and no chance of rain for days.

I last visited the redwoods over 20 years ago so it was way past time to take another look. Before that, it was about 40 years ago so the timing was about right. I must say, we have some spectacular trees here in the NW but those redwoods put ours to shame!

We lucked out as we drove up Hwy 101, finding a turnout onto a road that led to a little parking area that was deserted. conveniently, there was a trail leading off into the forest. The road we turned off on is called Cal Barrel Road and was gated just a few hundred feet off the hwy. We love just exploring at random and this fit the bill. Turned out, we hit the jackpot and ended up doing an 8 mile loop through 100% old-growth forest. The EG was about 1,800' due to lots of ups and downs but with such scenery, we hardly noticed. It was only 42 degrees but no wind in the deep forest so very comfortable.

Here are a few photos. These trees btw, looked to be at least 300' tall and maybe a little more.

This is really three trees grown together, but, still...

The passage under the trees was about 6'5" high - I didn't even come close to bumping my head as I passed under:

There were lots of little bridges and babbling brooks:

The map:

dn
"Everything works in the planning stage" - Kelly

"If you don't do it this year, you will be one year older when you do" - Warren Miller

retired jerry

Re: redwoods, 022618

Post by retired jerry » June 29th, 2018, 5:19 am

I agree, that's an amazing area. I hike on that Rhododendron Trail occasionally. Those huge trees are amazing. And it's just a pullout on the road, no huge crowds of people. Doug Fir too. Thanks.

mdvaden

Post by mdvaden » December 29th, 2018, 10:48 pm

This is the best season of the year to hike in Redwood National and State Parks. This shot was the day before Thanksgiving.
Beast_Redwood_Canopy_Rain.jpg

mdvaden

Post by mdvaden » December 29th, 2018, 10:50 pm

One more. A redwood we call Elk Herd ...

Elk_Herd_1400mdv.jpg

BigBear

Post by BigBear » December 31st, 2018, 9:14 am

Those trees look really impressive with Kelly standing next to them. They did the same thing in the filming of Jaws to make the sharks look bigger.