what an amazing string of good weekend weather

General discussions on hiking in Oregon and the Pacific Northwest
Chip Down

what an amazing string of good weekend weather

Post by Chip Down » December 28th, 2018, 10:28 pm

I guess I'll stay home this weekend. Forecast is pretty bad. Almost certainly some rain both days, windy, chilly (but not cold enough to avoid rain with a little elevation gain), and short days to boot. Jan 1 looks promising, and I have plenty of PTO in the bank as well, so I guess I'll defer.

Seems like its been a long time since weather kept me home, so I checked my log. It was August 25-26. August! How weird. My notes show there was rain/snow in the forecast, and windy. Probably could have dashed out for a quick low hike, but no need, as I knew there was still plenty of good weather ahead.

I see there were a couple other weekends where I didn't go out, but I had mid-week hikes, so maybe that contributed to staying home on the weekends. Anyway, that last weekend of August is the last documented time that weather kept me down.

What makes this particularly interesting is that we had quite a bit of snow in Sept (as we did a year or two ago). But after that, we recovered, and the autumn hiking was extraordinary.

Jerry is probably reading this and thinking "weekends are for working stiffs" :D

retired jerry

Re: what an amazing string of good weekend weather

Post by retired jerry » December 29th, 2018, 6:39 am

one week a month since I retired in 2005

a couple months I had to push a trip to the beginning of the next month

east of the cascades is your friend

kepPNW

Re: what an amazing string of good weekend weather

Post by kepPNW » December 29th, 2018, 7:14 am

Chip Down wrote:
December 28th, 2018, 10:28 pm
It was August 25-26. August! How weird. My notes show there was rain/snow in the forecast, and windy.
Smokey as hell, but blue skies above (8000'+), from my pics on 25th...
Karl
Back on the trail, again...