Punchbowl Falls Park - New Trail Preview!

This forum is used to share your experiences out on the trails.
Splintercat

Punchbowl Falls Park - New Trail Preview!

Post by Splintercat » December 11th, 2018, 8:25 pm

Great news! The new trail network at Punchbowl Falls Park in the Hood River area is complete! These trails were all built by TKO volunteers over the past three years, and make for a nice stop if you're in the area. You can cover all of the trails in an hour or two and the scenery is excellent. Winter is a nice time to visit, but the park has lots to offer year-round -- wildflowers in spring, swimming in summer and beautiful fall colors in October.

Here's a map of the park and the completed trail system:

The main attraction in the park is Punchbowl Falls -- this is a sunset view from a couple weeks ago:

The newly completed Yew Trail features a really cool view of the confluence of the West and East forks of the Hood River:

This is a view of the new Yew Trail as it approaches the viewpoint in the previous photo:

...and here are couple photos of the brand new Yew Trail as it descends along the West Fork:

...and a jumbo lichen on the Yew Trail:

...well-used wildlife tree along the Yew Trail:

Oregon Grape on the White Oak Trail:

Pacific Yew on (it's namesake) Yew Trail:

Here's a view of Dead Point Falls and the West Fork Hood River from the White Oak Trail:

Some water scenes along the West Fork:

TKO is still working with the county to install trail signs, but with the map at the top of this post, it's easy to find and navigate the new trail system.

Tom :-)

Titogoeshiking3

Re: Punchbowl Falls Park - New Trail Preview!

Post by Titogoeshiking3 » December 14th, 2018, 3:19 pm

That is super exciting! Thanks!
Your photography is excellent too.

Splintercat

Post by Splintercat » December 15th, 2018, 5:01 pm

Thanks! :-)

Chip Down

Post by Chip Down » December 16th, 2018, 11:08 am

Looking at the map, it doesn't appear there's any way one could become lost. Might be a good place to go for a boozy snow hike :D . I imagine snow would be rare down there. Oh, I see it's about 800'. Might get some snow.

A non-local might get confused by the map: "Hey, how come the arrows to Hood River don't point towards Hood River"?

I assume no parking permits required. Free and hassle-free?

What's the attraction on Cedar Trail? Something interesting up there, or just getting in more miles? Almost looks like people might be tempted to bushwhack up to the road, but I guess it's not that far on-trail.

bobcat

Post by bobcat » December 16th, 2018, 12:43 pm

Chip Down wrote:
December 16th, 2018, 11:08 am
What's the attraction on Cedar Trail?
The Cedar Trail would take hikers up the East Fork, which they wouldn't see much of otherwise.

I worked on the Yew Trail. It was an interesting exercise as we had to find big rocks to make a trail ledge and then put the trail tread on top of them. Some rocks took up to six people and a tangle of straps to move!

Splintercat

Post by Splintercat » December 18th, 2018, 8:12 pm

No parking permit required, Chip. Booze is optional (subject to county park regulations). :D

Tom

Splintercat

Post by Splintercat » December 18th, 2018, 8:14 pm

Bobcat, did you happen to get any photos of the big rock transport efforts...?

Tom

bobcat

Post by bobcat » December 19th, 2018, 7:53 pm

Tom,

No, I don't take my camera on trail work parties. Chip (Andrus) may have something.

We also used what I call "the Egyptian method" for one big rock: cut up a small tree trunk to make rollers and hauled it along.

Andesite

Post by Andesite » December 26th, 2018, 9:45 am

We visited this area on Christmas Day. Nice little trail system for a winter day. Well done. Funny that Splintercat's photos show almost exactly the same things that caught our eye. It can be a quick hike, so consider pairing it with one or two other stops (like Tamanawas Falls - or even better, Solera Brewery).