Henline Mountain Lookout w/snow

This forum is used to share your experiences out on the trails.
ghsmith76

Henline Mountain Lookout w/snow

Post by ghsmith76 » December 4th, 2018, 8:40 am

Retirement means you can go on a hike when conditions are optimum, which is what I did today Dec. 3 going up Henline Mountain Trail #3352. For some reason we have many days of sunshine beginning here in Oregon so I decided to touch winter by way of Henline Mountain. I really did not expect there to be much snow but I found a good fresh covering.
The route is about a 5 mile round trip with a 2220′ vertical. Not an easy hike, you are basically climbing at a fairly steep grade all the way and then coming back down does a toll on your knees.

But this hike was a great workout which should help get me ready for skiing. On this day there was no snow at the start however, soon you could tell that there was plenty of snow up on the trees. Some of this snow was coming down as I ascended, but more was coming down as I descended the mountain. I noticed a great overlook site about a mile up which I figured I might use for a break on the way down. At about this point the snow pack on the trail was becoming real and then the final mile the snow did make the hike a bit more challenging. Brook loved it though.

The sky was blue and the contrast with the trees and snow was stunning. There were a set of foot prints from the previous day but it was obvious that this trail is not heavily used. I had the mountain to myself. The final approach to the lookout spot is even steeper and with the snow depth increasing this was kind of fun. 

Once at the top you have a 360 vista with Mt Jefferson prominent to the East. However, it was probably about 30 degrees with a slight breeze so it was a bit cold.

We took out photos, ate some lunch and headed down. 

While I was at the top a lot of snow must have fallen off of those trees because the snow on the trail was much more pronounced. In fact the snow falling from the various tree branched made for some serious snow dogging. Brook got hit once on her back by a large drop and it totally freaked her out. Once we got back to that overlook below snow line we took some time to enjoy the scenery.

Actually spent a t least an hour just soaking up the sun and enjoying the view. What better place to spend an afternoon.

We did get on the trail in time to get back to the car at sundown. The dirt portion of the road in was in OK shape.
Full Trip Report Blog Post: https://adventurecontinues.org/2018/12/ ... with-snow/
GHSMITH76
Blog:AdventureContinues.org

retired jerry

Re: Henline Mountain Lookout w/snow

Post by retired jerry » December 4th, 2018, 10:14 am

"Retirement means you can go on a hike when conditions are optimum"

+1

Looks nice up there with the snow

CampinCarl

Post by CampinCarl » December 5th, 2018, 12:13 pm

Nice report! Henline in the snow does look good... how deep is it up there? Boots or snowshoes? I went up there once and got stopped short of the summit due to trying to wade through waist deep snow where the trail levels out before the final switchbacks. :) But, I did end up snow camping and enjoyed the silence all the same!

ghsmith76

Post by ghsmith76 » December 7th, 2018, 6:32 am

Yes the snow only got deep where it levels out before the final climb, 6-8 inches. It was fresh snow so a bit treacherous with the rocks underneath. I did want to camp up there but I chickened out even though I just got Brook a puff jacket. I didn't see places that looked flat enough for a tent except for maybe on top.
GHSMITH76
Blog:AdventureContinues.org

kelkev

Post by kelkev » December 8th, 2018, 12:07 pm

Very nice! Been up there a couple of times, but only in summer. Definitely a good workout with a nice view up top.
"Going to the mountains is going home."
— John Muir