Western Columbia Gorge reopens

General discussions on hiking in Oregon and the Pacific Northwest
arlohike

Re: Western Columbia Gorge reopens

Post by arlohike » November 24th, 2018, 8:48 pm

squidvicious wrote:
November 24th, 2018, 4:02 pm
Curious, for Wahkeena is it an issue with just the road spots, or is the parking in the lower day use picnic area also filling / not open?
Previously, that lower area wasn't open in the winter anyway, right? I remember it maybe being open around April, but not at this time of year.
TrailCheck (iOS / Android)
Elevation Tracker (iOS / Apple Watch)

pablo

Post by pablo » November 24th, 2018, 9:40 pm

arlohike wrote:
November 24th, 2018, 8:44 pm
pablo wrote:
November 24th, 2018, 5:34 pm
The road spots at Wahkeena have concrete barriers and at M-Falls the south side of the road west of the lodge has concrete barriers
Just to clarify, do you mean the concrete barriers are taking up the space where cars used to park?

I saw the big sign near the Bridal Veil exit warning about parking in official spots only, but wasn't sure if that meant only in parking lots, or if shoulder parking was still okay as long as cars are off the road. Around Angel's Rest and Wakheena it's pretty clear where a car will fit and where it won't, and in years past I've seen tow trucks taking away cars that were hanging out onto the road. I wonder if those are still the rules, or if the rules have changed, or if these new barriers make it a moot point.
Yes. Here's a pic, the lodge is behind me and this is the south side of the road looking west. You can see the white lines of the parking spaces that are now inaccessible.
Parking.jpg
Not sure what the scoop is on Angle's Rest. There are these same concrete barriers going east of the marked parking spaces on the south side of the road at Wahkeena.

--Paul
The future's uncertain and the end is always near.

Lurch

Post by Lurch » November 25th, 2018, 12:40 am

pablo wrote:
November 24th, 2018, 1:13 pm
Palmer Mill road is also open so maybe we can wander around the BV Platter like the old days.
Palmer mill has been decommissioned, 'tank trapped', torn up and is essentially gone below the basin rd junction.. Not 100% sure on the extent of their decommissioning, but pretty damn gone from the bits I've seen

Webfoot

Post by Webfoot » November 25th, 2018, 10:54 am

Do you have an opinion on that action? I would have thought that even if closed to the public it would have been useful for SAR.

klossner

Post by klossner » December 8th, 2018, 6:56 pm

arlohike wrote:
November 24th, 2018, 8:44 pm
pablo wrote:
November 24th, 2018, 5:34 pm
The road spots at Wahkeena have concrete barriers and at M-Falls the south side of the road west of the lodge has concrete barriers
Just to clarify, do you mean the concrete barriers are taking up the space where cars used to park?

I saw the big sign near the Bridal Veil exit warning about parking in official spots only, but wasn't sure if that meant only in parking lots, or if shoulder parking was still okay as long as cars are off the road. Around Angel's Rest and Wakheena it's pretty clear where a car will fit and where it won't, and in years past I've seen tow trucks taking away cars that were hanging out onto the road. I wonder if those are still the rules, or if the rules have changed, or if these new barriers make it a moot point.
I wandered through there yesterday. At Wahkeena, the diagonal-parking spots in front of the new monument are open. To the east, there are jersey barriers blocking off-road parking on the south side. Off-road parking on the north side is still available (be sure to clear the white line).

Gates into the state park are closed for the winter.