axe on St Helens

Lose something on the trail? Find something? Post it here.
Chip Down

axe on St Helens

Post by Chip Down » August 3rd, 2018, 6:00 pm

Tell me about the unusual item attached to it, and it's yours.
[Edit: No, not the watermelon. Tell me about the thing originally attached to it, which I removed for the photo.]
Attachments
L&F.jpg

adamschneider

Re: axe on St Helens

Post by adamschneider » August 3rd, 2018, 7:37 pm

In other news, you carried a watermelon to the summit of a large mountain.

Water

Post by Water » August 3rd, 2018, 9:49 pm

is this some kind of riddle (i think so).

the unusual item is you! :lol:

a leash perhaps?

I can't tell. I've google C.A.M.P. Corsica images and it looks identical.. perhaps you cut it a bit shorter or something but then you wouldn't have done that for the picture itself.
Feel Free to Feel Free

Webfoot

Post by Webfoot » August 4th, 2018, 2:14 am

adamschneider wrote:
August 3rd, 2018, 7:37 pm
In other news, you carried a watermelon to the summit of a large mountain.
And then stuck a randomly found item through it instead(?) of eating it. :?

Chip Down

Post by Chip Down » November 17th, 2018, 10:41 pm

A mountain giveth, and a mountain taketh away.
Attachments
20181117_221528.jpg

Bosterson

Post by Bosterson » November 18th, 2018, 6:39 am

Maybe next time you should pony up for one of the spendier brands for any free ice axes you find on the mountain. ;)

Really though, how did you manage to break the adze? Were you trying to chop steps in rocks with it?
#pnw #bestlife #bitingflies #favoriteyellowcap #neverdispleased

Chip Down

Post by Chip Down » November 18th, 2018, 10:00 am

Hey Bos, I also found a new BD Raven this year, so that was cool.
Anyway, I was cleaning (dislodging something I didn't want there).
I did do some chopping, but I used a steel axe for that task (the alum one just had a better shape for the task at hand).
That actually wasn't my only equipment failure yesterday. :oops:
For years, I'll be telling about the brand new axe I found, used a few times, then broke. Makes me sound like a real badass. Or just an idiot :lol:

Interesting that I found two shiny new axes this year. I wonder if people buy their first axe and forget they have it, or haven't quite learned how to attach it to their pack correctly.

Bosterson

Post by Bosterson » November 19th, 2018, 7:53 pm

A Raven is a good find. Probably nicer than that 90s era beast I recall seeing in one of your photos, though the latter obviously has more street cred.

Hopefully the person who lost the Corsa was skiing or something (otherwise why would you buy an aluminum axe??) and it just popped off; the Raven, no clue. Ice axes usually attach pretty well to packs, but it seems like if you were to actually lose hold of it you'd just go down and fetch it, unless it slid into a fumerole or over a cliff or something. I once dropped a glove in the middle of Leuthold's Couloir and thought long and hard about how much I wanted it, and then downclimbed and got it.

Now that you've broken the adze of the Corsa, you've basically turned it into a straight shaft aluminum ice tool! Time to find out how quickly the pick breaks... :?
#pnw #bestlife #bitingflies #favoriteyellowcap #neverdispleased

Chip Down

Post by Chip Down » November 21st, 2018, 6:28 pm

Bosterson wrote:
November 19th, 2018, 7:53 pm
A Raven is a good find.
Hell yeah! I actually paid for my first, so it's nice to find one free.
Bosterson wrote:
Probably nicer than that 90s era beast I recall seeing in one of your photos, though the latter obviously has more street cred.
Yeah, I remember you liked that pic. Funny, I knew it was old, but didn't expect anybody to say anything about it. By today's standards it's a POS, but whatever, I don't use a 35cm tool enough to justify buying a new one.
Bosterson wrote:
Ice axes usually attach pretty well to packs
Funny though, I actually had that Corsa fall off my pack. The pick was digging into my back, so I took my pack off and gave it a spin, not realizing that in doing to I defeated the retention afforded by the loop, thus allowing it to drop out. I heard it though, and realized my mistake, so put it back on in the conventional manner. Imagine how perplexed I would have been if I hadn't heard it drop, and found it missing much later. I was actually close to where I had found it weeks earlier. It's like a weird bermuda triangle for ice axes.
Bosterson wrote:
I once dropped a glove in the middle of Leuthold's Couloir and thought long and hard about how much I wanted it, and then downclimbed and got it.
Isn't it typically Leuthold Couloir? If it was above the hourglass, I don't know that I'd go back. What a boring slog, where the only excitement is ice bombs.
Bosterson wrote:
Now that you've broken the adze of the Corsa, you've basically turned it into a straight shaft aluminum ice tool! Time to find out how quickly the pick breaks... :?
Ha! I figured I'd just toss it in a scrap metal bin, but maybe I can still find a use for it. Never did like it. I've carried it because it weighs nothing, but honestly it's a pretty sad implement. I'd never dream of packing it on a trip where I expected to use it as my primary axe. But I am glad I had a chance to try it at no cost.

This might be the most fun L&F discussion ever! :D