Trouble justifying the cost of "lightweight" backpacking

Ask questions and share your experiences with hiking & backpacking gear, and share trail recipes and gadget tips. Please see classifieds forum for buying/selling stuff.
retired jerry

Re: Trouble justifying the cost of "lightweight" backpacking

Post by retired jerry » March 6th, 2016, 3:24 pm

After years of bringing some extra stuff that never gets used, consider leaving it at home.

You also have to factor in stuff that you might need in an emergency even though you didn't happen to use it in years. I have brought a space blanket with me forever even though I never use it - so light weight and if someone was cold it could be a lifesaver.

Sometimes, stuff just accumulates that you'll never need

Lurch

Post by Lurch » March 6th, 2016, 4:28 pm

Very true. I think it's important for people to periodically gut their pack and go through it. If only for recognition of what gear is where, but also to help cull the useless riffraff, and replace the expired consumables. Oddly enough, a lot of people with legitimate packs seem to forget the gear they're packing. If they aren't used to it, don't train with it, don't practice, they're not going to remember it in a critical scenario.

Do as you train, train as you do

retired jerry

Post by retired jerry » March 7th, 2016, 6:34 am

Over a couple days I was leap frogging two guys going around Mt Hood

At one point, I was talking to just one guy who said he had put a large rock in the other guy's pack as a prank

I wonder how that turned out :)

Rancid9999

Post by Rancid9999 » March 7th, 2016, 8:41 am

I am not big on the "gotta have the newest fad" paradigm. Get the best boots you can afford and cut corners everywhere else. Leave the cast iron skillet home but don't fret about the difference between aluminum vs. titanium.

It's about the trip, not the gear

grmackay

Post by grmackay » October 27th, 2018, 6:07 pm

My 2 cents would be buy used if the price is right or buy new from retailers with a good return/exchange policy. Sometimes "cheap" can cost more than "expensive" in the long run if you end up buying gear that doesn't last or doesn't do the job and causes you to buy replacement gear. Personally I do my best to research gear online before I spend big bucks. Let the bloggers, You Tubers etc do the expensive trail and error for you.