Shady Creek Falls Access?

Discussions and Trip Reports for off-trail adventures and rediscovering lost trails
Guy

Shady Creek Falls Access?

Post by Guy » October 18th, 2009, 8:53 pm

Anyone know if there is access to the base of Shady Creek Falls? I was at Multnomah today & it looks like there might be a boot trail heading off in that direction from behind a bench & litter bin just before you cross the creek on the Multnomah trail? Any ideas :)

Cheers..
Guy.
hiking log & photos.
Ad monte summa aut mors

Sore Feet

Re: Shady Creek Falls Access?

Post by Sore Feet » October 18th, 2009, 9:15 pm

I'm pretty sure Shady Creek is the water supply for the lodge, so its probably not a good idea to go scrambling around up there.

airdrum

Post by airdrum » October 19th, 2009, 11:08 pm

Access is very easy, simply follow that trail up and soon you will be walking on large, stable boulders up to the falls. There is no technical or scrambling terrain required. You can walk on the boulders all the way past the lowest tier up to the second, you can see this in the pic I took below when I visited.

I would only note the spiders, that boulder field was home to probably the top 10 largest spiders and webs I have seen in the gorge!
Attachments
PICT66162.jpg
Andy

Guy

Post by Guy » October 20th, 2009, 5:25 am

Thanks Andy, That's a great photo.
hiking log & photos.
Ad monte summa aut mors

greglief

Post by greglief » November 16th, 2009, 2:26 pm

Cool shot, Andy. I have looked longingly at that waterfall many times... perhaps I will try it at some point when there are no tourists around (fat chance of that!).

Greg

Splintercat

Post by Splintercat » November 16th, 2009, 6:13 pm

I was scarred for life a few years ago, when I dropped a lens filter over the wall on the switchback above the lower falls viewpoint. As I was sneaking over to get it, a kid screamed and pointed "DADDY, THAT MAN CLIMBED OVER THE WALL!!!!" So, needless to say, I had a small audience as I awkwardly climbed back over... damned tourists! :?

But yeah, that's a cool shot, Andy -- well worth the $5,000 fine and up to five years in prison..! I happened to shoot this from the parking area recently, if only because I had never photographed it before. I definitely need to move a bit closer -- the middle tier is quite nice in your photo!

BTW, I also noticed the upper portion of that little side streamer that drops over the very tall cliff just to the west of the main Multnomah drop during the wet season -- just a trickle, here, but it made me wonder if this is the stream with the little bridge over it on the Perdition Trail..?

Can't wait until the Perdition is open again... I am SO tired of hiking up the paved portion of the Mult Falls trail to get to the upper canyon... ugh!

Tom

Grannyhiker

Post by Grannyhiker » November 16th, 2009, 6:17 pm

Can't wait until the Perdition is open again... I am SO tired of hiking up the paved portion of the Mult Falls trail to get to the upper canyon... ugh!
Me too, but I have been hearing on various PH.org posts that it's never going to happen because the USFS wants to keep it closed permanently.

airdrum

Post by airdrum » November 16th, 2009, 7:22 pm

I didn't know you got the uber fine for going to this spot, I thought that was only on the perdition trail. So is there an entire area around multnomah falls that makes available outrageous punishments? It's a really good thing I didn't take that photo in person, I had the camera hanging on a 5.000 ft cable release beneath my private helicopter.

By the way on the perdition trail I have to admit I have access to military satellites giving me a perfect view of the trail. As of my last look via the satellites in October, I am sad to report that it is quickly becoming completely overgrown, some tread sections are gone and it is only a couple years away from the point of no return, I think.
Andy

Guy

Post by Guy » November 16th, 2009, 8:44 pm

airdrum wrote:By the way on the perdition trail I have to admit I have access to military satellites giving me a perfect view of the trail. As of my last look via the satellites in October, I am sad to report that it is quickly becoming completely overgrown, some tread sections are gone and it is only a couple years away from the point of no return, I think.
Andy I have access to the Queens Royal Satellite & form my look in October I had the opposite impression. I'm thinking it gets quite a bit of use.
hiking log & photos.
Ad monte summa aut mors

Splintercat

Post by Splintercat » November 16th, 2009, 9:55 pm

Grannyhiker wrote:
Me too, but I have been hearing on various PH.org posts that it's never going to happen because the USFS wants to keep it closed permanently.
The word I've heard via TKO (and a scouting trip that Ron Northway took with USFS staff last year) is that the main hitch is the now-infamous concrete stairway and disintegrating gully. But my impression was that the USFS would like to figure out a way around the gully, if not through it -- but definitely to reopen the trail someday. Here's Ron's photo of the staircase as it appeared last October:

At this rate, it will be in the middle of the scenic highway in about 15 years...

;)