Jastreb incoming

Introduce yourself to the group! We welcome novice and expert alike! We especially love hearing from those new to Portland and those new to hiking
Jastreb_J21

Jastreb incoming

Post by Jastreb_J21 » September 27th, 2018, 7:09 am

Hi everyone!

I'm Jastreb or Thierry IRL, I'm 39 and I'm... not from Oregon. In fact, I'm from Reims in France and I am travelling around Eastern Europe right now. Why the hell would I join this forum then? Well, because I've got a couple friends in Portland, and they've invited me for a week of hiking, camping and shooting in the state's countryside for next spring. Of course, I don't want to make a fool out of myself, so I've decided to join this forum and learn as much as I can! And I can't really ask them, since I don't want to look like a complete newbie even if they see me as an outdoorsy person (I did grow up in the countryside, but in a flat region where villages are all 1.5 mile from each other)!

Anyways, I hope I'll be able to learn from you guys, and that I won't do anything stupid on the forum or in the woods.

Have a nice day!

K.Wagner

Re: Jastreb incoming

Post by K.Wagner » September 28th, 2018, 11:25 am

Just be careful here about references to "shooting"! This is not exactly a gun friendly group, because we have all seen so much mayhem caused by thoughtless blasting.

Other than that, spend time surfing the site, particularly about equipment.
Kelly
There is no shortcut to anyplace worth going to.

PM me about the soon to be released:
Skamania 231
"How to really get off the beaten path in Skamania County"

Aimless

Post by Aimless » September 28th, 2018, 7:03 pm

I would not describe this site as either "gun-friendly" or "gun-unfriendly", so much as unfriendly to gun users who choose not to follow state or federal rules or regulations, who use guns in careless or thoughtless ways, or who leave massive amounts of trash in the form of spent shells and casings and shot-up autos, appliances, trees, or other items used indiscriminately as targets and not cleaned up.

The gun owners and users who do clean up after themselves, act responsibly and follow all the rules don't bother me a bit, because the rules are stringent and are well-designed to ensure safety and reduce impact. If only all the shooters would just follow the rules everything would be fine!

K.Wagner

Post by K.Wagner » September 30th, 2018, 5:15 pm

100% agreed, being an owner myself. But I do feel that just the mere mention of "shooting" can trigger a negative reaction, simply because of what we have all seen. Just yesterday, we were out near the Lewis River Falls trio, and someone had shot up a fishing information sign. But let's not highjack Jastreb's introduction here.
Kelly
There is no shortcut to anyplace worth going to.

PM me about the soon to be released:
Skamania 231
"How to really get off the beaten path in Skamania County"

squidvicious

Post by squidvicious » October 1st, 2018, 8:17 am

Saw this right after reading this thread
https://www.facebook.com/BLMOregon/phot ... 1302103325

Jastreb_J21 wrote:
September 27th, 2018, 7:09 am
Anyways, I hope I'll be able to learn from you guys, and that I won't do anything stupid on the forum or in the woods.
What sort of things exactly are you hoping to learn? Do you have questions?
I can't really ask them, since I don't want to look like a complete newbie
It's not a good idea to portray yourself as knowing or being capable of more than is true for you. You will almost certainly have a more enjoyable and safer time if you are straight with your friends, and that info will help them to plan. Even "outdoorsy" people coming from other areas of the country, or ones who are fit and active but don't do much hiking, need to ask a lot of questions about what to expect in this area.

retired jerry

Post by retired jerry » October 1st, 2018, 6:49 pm

Funny how things on the internet can blow up sometimes

Welcome, you will find good information here. Not so much on hunting if that's what you mean by shooting. Spring isn't a good hunting season.

I just passed a hunter a few days ago on Mt Hood. A couple days later I passed him carrying a deer.

Aimless

Post by Aimless » October 1st, 2018, 6:59 pm

I hope the deer had antlers. :D

retired jerry

Post by retired jerry » October 2nd, 2018, 5:32 am

The antlers was really all I saw. There were actually two hunters and the 2nd one you could see the head. The packs looked very heavy.