Battery door? Airplane?

The purpose of this forum is to help people identify things they've seen while out hiking: wildflowers, trees, birds, insects, small animals, animal tracks, even geographical features like buttes or streams
Lurch

Re: Battery door? Airplane?

Post by Lurch » September 17th, 2018, 12:09 pm

May want to contact the FAA, they tend to be interested when things fall off aircraft, and could probably help ID the mystery

mjirving

Post by mjirving » September 17th, 2018, 12:17 pm

Great idea. I’ll do that.

Don Nelsen

Post by Don Nelsen » September 17th, 2018, 4:31 pm

I forwarded the pics to one of my brothers who is a pilot and very knowledgeable about planes and he said this:

"It looks like a lower speed aircraft part because of the raised rivets on the outside. It could be off a helicopter. They fall apart quicker because of vibration. NTSB should be notified or local FSDO (FAA) in Hillsboro."
https://www.faa.gov/about/office_org/fi ... /fsdo/pdx/

dn
"Everything works in the planning stage" - Kelly

"If you don't do it this year, you will be one year older when you do" - Warren Miller

texasbb

Post by texasbb » September 17th, 2018, 4:40 pm

Limey wrote:
September 16th, 2018, 7:45 pm
They even make tricked out campers. I want one.
Like this?

Limey

Post by Limey » September 17th, 2018, 5:36 pm

Texasbb, Exactly.

mjirving

Post by mjirving » September 19th, 2018, 1:54 pm

**UPDATE**

I contacted the national FAA to report this on their submission site yesterday. I was contacted today by the assigned person from Hillsboro for the pictures (which you can only submit after the initial submission if they want them).

I’ll keep you posted with what I learn...very interesting.

Mike

bghiker

Post by bghiker » September 21st, 2018, 8:13 am

Based on my years as an aircraft engine mechanic, that does look consistent with airplane construction. My guess would be a small Cessna type plane due to the raised rivet heads and the fact that it says battery on it...most modern military jet aircraft don't have batteries, their power comes from auxiliary power units. Commercial jets have batteries but I think they would be way too large to fit under a panel that size...Curious to hear what you find out though..

Jastreb_J21

Post by Jastreb_J21 » September 27th, 2018, 7:20 am

Do commercial jets use batteries too? I figured they'd all use APUs, especially since most planes I've boarded had distinctive exhaust pipes poking from under the tail, which is usually a clear sign of the presence of an APU. Or is it about smaller, short range commercial liners?