Missing hiker believed to be victim of cougar attack

Use this forum to post links to news stories from other websites - ones that other hikers might find interesting. This is not intended for original material or anecdotal information. You can reply to any news stories posted, but do not start a new thread without a link to a specific news story.
Paul2

Re: Missing hiker believed to be victim of cougar attack

Post by Paul2 » September 14th, 2018, 5:26 pm

I've seen a cougar once while hiking. I was hiking on the side of a hill and came around a corner and surprised it. By the time I gasped with fright it was gone. I'm 5'6" and I was the only person on the 5 mile loop trail.
I've been wandering early and late, from New York City to the Golden Gate, and it don't look like I'll ever stop my wandering.
-James Taylor

squidvicious

Post by squidvicious » September 15th, 2018, 9:13 am

adamschneider wrote:
September 15th, 2018, 7:46 am
Well, that didn't take long: Cougar killed by Oregon wildlife officials; testing will determine if it killed hiker
They're still keeping the hunt up until they get DNA confirmation, though, so trails are still closed.

I've always found it a little funny that there's a national forensics lab just for wildlife, and that it's in Ashland of all places. The day the news broke that this was a cougar attack I had just that morning been standing in the parking lot of that lab, enjoying watching a family of deer peacefully ambling around. It left a sharp mental contrast to the shocking attack and the evidence that would be on its way there shortly.

It's amazing how quickly this all went from "We have no idea where this person is, but she did like to hike" to finding her car, her backpack, the people who turned the packpack in, her body, and finally the (likely) cougar. Kudos and thanks to everyone who made that happen.

Waffle Stomper

Post by Waffle Stomper » September 15th, 2018, 9:51 am

squidvicious wrote:
September 15th, 2018, 9:13 am

I've always found it a little funny that there's a national forensics lab just for wildlife, and that it's in Ashland of all places. The day the news broke that this was a cougar attack I had just that morning been standing in the parking lot of that lab, enjoying watching a family of deer peacefully ambling around. It left a sharp mental contrast to the shocking attack and the evidence that would be on its way there shortly.

It's amazing how quickly this all went from "We have no idea where this person is, but she did like to hike" to finding her car, her backpack, the people who turned the packpack in, her body, and finally the (likely) cougar. Kudos and thanks to everyone who made that happen.
And they do forensics on animals from all over the world. It would be fascinating to work there.
"When we try to pick out anything by itself, we find it hitched to everything else in the Universe." - John Muir

Mthoodlocal

Post by Mthoodlocal » September 15th, 2018, 2:32 pm

I was not surprised that she was attacked (and killed) by a cougar on Hunchback. Having lived in Welches all my life I know of a few key areas where cats frequent around here.
Specifically the area between salmon river and still creek (hunchback)
Zig Zag mountain trail, castle canyon, bonanza trail.
Also a lot of cougar activity up and down Lolo Pass as well.

There was reports over winter of a cougar entering a home via a dog door to attack someones german shepherd. I wonder now if it could have been the same animal exhibiting aggressive tendencies.

Personally I have seen cougars up Salmon River, Zig Zag Mtn Trail, Cool Creek (Devils Peak), Bonanza, and many times driving around Welches late at night 12 am-3 am. Also have seen fresh kills near Zig Zag village area on a trail that runs adjacent to the Sandy for approximately 3 miles.

I cant count how many times I've gone on a run up Mountain drive to ZZ Mtn Trail and turned around because "something" was watching me. Could have been a cougar or "Jet Black" a wanted criminal known for a rash of break ins around Welches, his encampment was found and destroyed near the ZZ Mtn trailhead a few days ago.

Waffle Stomper

Post by Waffle Stomper » September 16th, 2018, 11:36 am

Mthoodlocal wrote:
September 15th, 2018, 2:32 pm

I cant count how many times I've gone on a run up Mountain drive to ZZ Mtn Trail and turned around because "something" was watching me. Could have been a cougar or "Jet Black" a wanted criminal known for a rash of break ins around Welches, his encampment was found and destroyed near the ZZ Mtn trailhead a few days ago.
I hate that feeling, only once that it was so strong I wanted to turn around and did.
"When we try to pick out anything by itself, we find it hitched to everything else in the Universe." - John Muir

Chip Down

Post by Chip Down » September 16th, 2018, 7:48 pm

Chip Down wrote:
September 12th, 2018, 6:50 pm
I understand the plan now is to kill every cougar that can be found until they find a DNA match. Per a radio news story. I don't recall the source. Somebody was quoted with a statement along the lines of "we'll find that cougar for sure, guaranteed". Really? I'm skeptical.
Somebody pass me a fork, looks like I've got some crow pie to eat. :|
Maybe the DNA results will get me off the hook.

retired jerry

Post by retired jerry » September 17th, 2018, 5:22 am

you could eat cougar? :)

those trail cams are pretty useful for finding cougar. Once you know where it was last night you can track it down with dogs.

It's a shame that we can't let the poor cougars be, but if one gets in the habit of killing humans that wouldn't be good

Appleton

Post by Appleton » September 24th, 2018, 10:22 pm

Mthoodlocal wrote:
September 15th, 2018, 2:32 pm

Wait, what? Jet Black? What is the story with this guy? How did he get that nickname, and how long has he been terrorizing Welches?

Mthoodlocal

Post by Mthoodlocal » September 27th, 2018, 11:58 am

Appleton wrote:
September 24th, 2018, 10:22 pm

Wait, what? Jet Black? What is the story with this guy? How did he get that nickname, and how long has he been terrorizing Welches?
Umm i'm not sure what his real name is honestly. Im pretty sure he gave the name to himself, he has long scraggly black hair. He's been here for at least 5 years, stealing from underused vacation homes, pilfering left out lawn equipment. I dont think he has been part of the salmon river smash and grabs but i cant be certain. Thats usually not his M.O.

He was arrested a few months ago but is out now and they are looking for him again. Usually seen on a mountain bike riding up Lolo Pass. I do believe he skipped town as nobody has seen him in a few weeks, that or hes laying REAL low.