Timberline Trail in a Day

This forum is used to share your experiences out on the trails.
pcg

Re: Timberline Trail in a Day

Post by pcg » September 11th, 2018, 7:14 pm

pcg wrote:
September 11th, 2018, 7:13 pm
I could tolerate wet feet all day, I think, but the problem I have is that having wet running shoes (and socks) makes my feet slide from side to side in the shoe, to the point to where my footing becomes unstable and it actually hurts my feet if I'm on a side-hill. Blisters aren't a problem for me. As I mentioned I have wide feet (EE).
I'd love to find a solution. I'm fine in hiking boots if they get wet.

retired jerry

Post by retired jerry » September 11th, 2018, 8:10 pm

If I wear merino socks in wet shoes/boots they'll wear out in one day. The threads spread out and then there are holes between.

Another thing is that fungus grows.

Chazz

Post by Chazz » September 12th, 2018, 7:57 am

Wonderful trip report. I keep meaning to do a 1 day TT loop but something always gets in the way. How much of this did you end up walking versus jogging?

RobinB

Post by RobinB » September 12th, 2018, 9:33 am

Wow, and another thanks for all the kind responses!

Schrauf: Oh wow, thanks so much! Carrot's Thru Hiking Will Break Your Heart changed my life. The comparison means a lot to me. The whole thing took me somewhere between 15.5 and 16 hours, though I then spend a while at the car relaxing before driving home.

Jerry: That's interesting about socks disintegrating. Have you ever tried Darn Tough? I've taken the same pair through three weeks solid of wet feet (two in the Olympics, then one in the Sierra), and it's really not so much worse for the wear. They also will replace any pair that wears out, though I've never asked them to, because the only pair I have with holes has something like 2000 miles on it, and that feels more than fair for a pair of socks.

Also, about fungus: I hadn't really considered that! I guess, on multi-day trips, I definitely let my feet dry out at night (my one luxury is a pair of dry socks to sleep in), but, given that, I've never had trouble. Maybe I should be touching wood right now...

Chazz: I honestly only full-on jogged for a few miles of it. I think my average speed worked out to a bit under 3 mph, which is essentially just walking.

Titogoeshiking3

Post by Titogoeshiking3 » September 12th, 2018, 10:42 am

Wow! Congratulations!!
and thanks for sharing.