Lolo Pass Road

Use this forum to report and discuss trails in need of maintenance. This will help organizations like TKO and agencies like the Forest Service get the most recent on-the-ground trail conditions.
Webfoot

Lolo Pass Road

Post by Webfoot » June 29th, 2017, 3:53 am

In 2018 this ditch is a lot worse; see my June 2018 post and photos below.

In another post I stated that apart from three ditches the old Lolo Pass Road under the power lines is in better condition than the newer, longer, 1810 bypass. Yesterday I drove this section again and I took a few photos of the only obstacle of significance.
  • All four photos are of the same ditch from different directions to provide perspective.
  • One side of the road is quite eroded but the other has been filled in some.
  • There are plenty of rocks to move or stack if further improvement is needed for your vehicle to pass.
To prevent any confusion here is a map of the road system. The red box is the location of the ditch pictured. It is the last of three ditches when coming from the south/west/26. From there northward it is easy driving until rejoining the paved road at the upper green pin.
LoloPassRoad2.jpg
The only significant obstacle on the old road as of June 2017:
LPR 11.jpg
LPR 12.jpg
LPR 13.jpg
LPR 14.jpg
(If something looks a little odd in the last two photos it's because I cloned out my vehicle.)
Last edited by Webfoot on August 9th, 2018, 6:58 am, edited 1 time in total.

Guy

Re: Lolo Pass Road

Post by Guy » June 29th, 2017, 4:58 am

This is great news, thanks for the update!
hiking log & photos.
Ad monte summa aut mors

miah66

Post by miah66 » June 29th, 2017, 10:36 am

So when you reach the large junction near the PCT trail, instead of going right and down the hill, you just stay straight and this is how you drive the old section?
"The top...is not the top" - Mile...Mile & a Half

Instagram @pdxstrider

Webfoot

Post by Webfoot » June 29th, 2017, 3:18 pm

Yes, straight and slightly left, past the "End Maintenance" sign.

Webfoot

Post by Webfoot » June 19th, 2018, 10:19 pm

The area pictured above has significantly degraded in the year since I took those photos. It should still be passable with care in most mid-clearance vehicles, but moving rocks to fill the hole may be needed if it gets any worse. Here's what it looks like now. (June 2018)
LPR-2018-1.jpg
LPR-2018-2.jpg

walkin62

Post by walkin62 » July 8th, 2018, 7:46 am

In other news about the Lolo pass Road.....
There is a slide west of the road that plugged up and destroyed a culvert; it's about five miles north up from Highway 26. It is being worked on starting later this week or early next week, haven't heard an exact date yet The road will be closed for two weeks to a month while it is being fixed. The only bypass will be the 1828 road. So if you are headed to Top Spur or the PCT, this means lots of extra cars on an already crappy and narrow road.

naturalle

Post by naturalle » August 21st, 2018, 8:10 pm

walkin62 wrote:
July 8th, 2018, 7:46 am
In other news about the Lolo pass Road.....
There is a slide west of the road that plugged up and destroyed a culvert; it's about five miles north up from Highway 26. It is being worked on starting later this week or early next week, haven't heard an exact date yet The road will be closed for two weeks to a month while it is being fixed. The only bypass will be the 1828 road. So if you are headed to Top Spur or the PCT, this means lots of extra cars on an already crappy and narrow road.
Found out about this closure the hard way when I drove all the way up there and the road was closed - signage isn't great, and the detour route isn't marked at all (as of August 20th). Think any work on that ditch will be done while the culvert is being fixed? It's still passable with my Camry but has been getting noticeably worse.

Webfoot

Post by Webfoot » August 21st, 2018, 8:45 pm

The ditch I pictured above? Nice work getting a Camry through there. Did you have to move rocks around to smooth it out?

ernagiad

Post by ernagiad » August 22nd, 2018, 2:09 am

The photos look very interesting. Very sharp quality.

naturalle

Post by naturalle » August 26th, 2018, 2:10 pm

Webfoot wrote:
August 21st, 2018, 8:45 pm
The ditch I pictured above? Nice work getting a Camry through there. Did you have to move rocks around to smooth it out?
Yep! No moving rocks, I just grit my teeth and go slow. :lol: A bit worried that if they don't fix it up I won't be able to make it through in another year or two, though.