Sorta new, hoping to find some info

Introduce yourself to the group! We welcome novice and expert alike! We especially love hearing from those new to Portland and those new to hiking
BCsMustang

Sorta new, hoping to find some info

Post by BCsMustang » August 21st, 2018, 6:19 pm

Hi all,
I was born and raised in Utah, but moved to Oregon after high school 20+ yrs ago. My hiking experience is limited, but I'm seeking to change that as I improve my physical fitness. In recent history I've hiked the 10 falls at Silver Falls State Park here in Oregon.
I'm hoping to find information/resources about hikes that are open to dogs. I have 2 Border Collies and for every trail that allows dogs there's 10 that don't and it's difficult at times to figure out which trails are which until I arrive at them. I understand the many reasons why dogs are not allowed, sometimes I'm surprised that humans are even allowed on the trails! I hike responsibly with my girls and bring enough potty bags to share with anyone who may have "forgot" their own. :D
Thanks!

adamschneider

Re: Sorta new, hoping to find some info

Post by adamschneider » August 21st, 2018, 10:21 pm

Dogs are allowed on MOST trails, as long as they're on a leash.

The main exceptions are wildlife preserves and National Parks.

Chip Down

Post by Chip Down » August 22nd, 2018, 5:28 pm

adamschneider wrote:
August 21st, 2018, 10:21 pm

And National Volcanic Monuments. Easy to forget that one. Not that anybody pays attention to rules on MSH. People ride bikes, camp, etc. I don't think anything is enforced if you're more than 1/4 mile from a major tourist center.

justpeachy

Post by justpeachy » August 23rd, 2018, 10:05 am

Silver Falls is a state park, but the vast majority of trails around here are in national forest where dogs are allowed, although sometimes you'll see signs saying that your dogs are required to be on-leash.

Water

Post by Water » August 23rd, 2018, 3:13 pm

pets are allowed on the South Side of MSH..but must be under control or leashed is my understanding.
Feel Free to Feel Free

adamschneider

Post by adamschneider » August 23rd, 2018, 3:49 pm

Chip Down wrote:
August 22nd, 2018, 5:28 pm
adamschneider wrote:
August 21st, 2018, 10:21 pm

And National Volcanic Monuments. Easy to forget that one.
It's not that simple. The outer parts of Mt. St. Helens NVM are basically just National Forest with an extra title slapped on, and there are few restrictions there. But dogs (and bikes and horses and bushwhacking) are verboten above about 5000', and in the blast zone.
MSHNVM.jpg

(And Newberry NVM has no pet restrictions.)

walrus

Post by walrus » August 26th, 2018, 7:31 pm

Dogs are allowed in Silver Falls SP, just not on the canyon trail (10 falls) - I think more for safety than anything else. But I've never been there and not seen a dog down in the canyon....

A lot of the trail descriptions on this site have notes about suitability/legality of dogs on a given hike.