Hammock Camping in the Eagle Cap Wilderness / Wallowas

Trip recommendations, current conditions, and other trail related Q&A
nwbound

Hammock Camping in the Eagle Cap Wilderness / Wallowas

Post by nwbound » July 21st, 2018, 10:09 pm

Hi,
I'm preparing for a backpacking trip in the Wallowas in late August / early September. I'm considering bringing my Hennessy Hammock but am hesitating as I don't know if the terrain is well suited to hammock camping or if campsites would be much more limited. I've browsed a handful of trip reports and googled it but haven't come across anything that addresses the suitability of hammocks in the eagle cap wilderness.

The details of my trip haven't been finalized yet but its very likely we will spend a night or two at Ice Lake, a night or two at Glacier Lake or Mirror Lake, and another night somewhere in the lakes basin Maybe Horseshoe lake maybe elsewhere..

Those of you who have been to the area (or even better hammock camped in the area) would you advise bringing a hammock and do you have any other hammock specific advise (good campsites, etc).

Also, if anyone has any general recommendations on favorite campsites, trails, views, or anything else, i'd love to hear them. Thanks!

retired jerry

Re: Hammock Camping in the Eagle Cap Wilderness / Wallowas

Post by retired jerry » July 22nd, 2018, 5:29 am

There are some areas without trees for hammock, like Glacier Lake. Mirror Lake and lakes basin have plenty of trees.

My favorite is probably west Lostine to Mirror Lake. Go up to Eagle Cap. You could go over to Glacier Lake. Lots of good places to hike in the Wallowas. Check the field guide - click on "field guide", "eastern oregon",...

nwbound

Post by nwbound » July 22nd, 2018, 11:08 am

Thanks for the feedback. I believe that trail (Lostine) is the trail we are planning to hike in from (leaves from the two pan trailhead right?). I'll be sure to checkout the 'field guide' section, thanks for the info.

retired jerry

Post by retired jerry » July 22nd, 2018, 11:59 am

yeah, Two Pan

just my opinion, but the lower lakes basin is lower elevation, not as nice. Top of lakes basin (Mirror Lake) is better, and it's better above that. Lostine is the shortest trail to Mirror Lake.

drm

Post by drm » July 22nd, 2018, 6:27 pm

East Lostine to be specific. The trail forks into east and west Lostine shortly above Two Pan. West Lostine goes to Minam Lake.

The higher you go, the sparser the trees will be for a hammock. But aside from Glacier Lake, I think most of them will have some spot available, though I never looked at them for that.

RichardDavies

Post by RichardDavies » August 20th, 2018, 7:48 pm

I'm also planning a backpacking trip there in mid September and have been debating about hammock camping too! Sounds like you might be there a week or two before me... After you return I'd love to hear how your experience was if you decide to hammock camp, where you stayed at, and what the general availability of suitable hammock spots is like.

cfm

Post by cfm » August 21st, 2018, 7:13 am

I know a great spot-Dollar Lake. It's located between Aneroid Mountain and Pete's Point.
hammock.jpg
View from Dollar Ridge, which is one of the most wonderful ridgewalks I have ever ambled. The summits are Aneroid Mountain, East Peak and Mt Howard and Dollar Lake below. Our campsite is in the trees on far shore:
Aneroid and Dollar Lake.jpg

Another pespective from Dollar Ridge, Aneroid Lake is middle left and Wallowa Lake in distance:
Valley View.jpg

justpeachy

Post by justpeachy » August 21st, 2018, 2:23 pm

There are plenty of trees at Mirror Lake and Ice Lake, but those are the two most popular lakes in the entire wilderness. Sometimes finding a good campsite can be tricky, especially if you're limited by tree placement.