Eagle Cap - Cusick and Sacajawea - 8/2-8/5/18

This forum is used to share your experiences out on the trails.
Bosterson

Eagle Cap - Cusick and Sacajawea - 8/2-8/5/18

Post by Bosterson » August 9th, 2018, 10:12 pm

For this year's Eagle Cap trip, I backpacked into Frazier Lake for the first time since 2009. Ben and I climbed Cusick via the NW ridge, which involves a tricky ridge traverse and some exposed 3rd class climbing. We took a side trip up to Glacier Lake (first time since 2009 again, back on my first trip there) and then back out to Wallowa Lake on the third day. We got hit by a thunderstorm during the last few miles back to the car, which was refreshing after the heat wave(s) here in the city!

After getting back to the Wallowa Lake TH on the third evening, we drove around to Hurricane Creek and set up camp. Early the next morning, we set out for a day trip up the N Ridge of Sacajawea.

Still so far away!

The N ridge gains 4000 ft in 2.8 mi and tops out at the same spot where the E ridge (from Thorp Creek trail) gains the summit ridge at 9800 ft. It's a beast! We descended the trail back to Hurricane Creek and then drove back to Portland, making it a huge day. Neither of these objectives was a sure thing - in fact, we were uncertain either of them would work until they worked! Both of these are long-term ticklist items for me, and we were super pleased both routes went. Good times in Eagle Cap! :)
#pnw #bestlife #bitingflies #favoriteyellowcap #neverdispleased

VanMarmot

Re: Eagle Cap - Cusick and Sacajawea - 8/2-8/5/18

Post by VanMarmot » August 10th, 2018, 5:34 am

Looks like you had a wonderful, but intense, trip to the Wallowas this year. :D Love those shots of climbing along the north ridge. And Sac and back to Portland in the same day - ah, youth... Did you recover Ben's body or is it still lying next to that creek? ;)

justpeachy

Post by justpeachy » August 10th, 2018, 10:24 am

Beautiful photos! Looks like the haze cleared out while you were there. We were in that area just a few days before you, doing Ice Lake and the Matterhorn.

cfm

Post by cfm » August 11th, 2018, 6:00 am

Cool! Love those ridges.

Did you happen to see Oregon's oldest tree?

retired jerry

Post by retired jerry » August 11th, 2018, 6:19 am

cool story

maybe they ought to cut it down to carefully analyze it to be sure it's the oldest tree : )

backcracker

Post by backcracker » August 18th, 2018, 3:55 pm

Do you think it's possible to ascend the inlet stream (or thereabouts) of Little Frazier Lake up to Prospect Lake? I've been eying that one but haven't been by Little Frazier in person. I've been to Prospect Lake a couple times but from the Glacier Lake side.

MariposaMan

Post by MariposaMan » August 23rd, 2018, 9:32 pm

Great pics! I summited Sacajawea 5 years ago, but via the less intense Thorp Creek route (though plenty intense for this non-climber). I love the Wallowas!

RobinB

Post by RobinB » September 6th, 2018, 12:44 pm

backcracker wrote:
August 18th, 2018, 3:55 pm
Do you think it's possible to ascend the inlet stream (or thereabouts) of Little Frazier Lake up to Prospect Lake? I've been eying that one but haven't been by Little Frazier in person. I've been to Prospect Lake a couple times but from the Glacier Lake side.
Douglas Lorain recommends doing this somewhere in Backpacking Oregon: apparently there are are a few small cliffs and boulders to deal with, but dude's generally reliable enough that I imagine it should be totally doable.

backcracker

Post by backcracker » September 6th, 2018, 6:32 pm

Did it, just a slog up a hillside, picking a route and ascending vertically.