Jefferson Park via Park Ridge

Trip recommendations, current conditions, and other trail related Q&A
Water

Re: Jefferson Park via Park Ridge

Post by Water » August 1st, 2018, 12:25 pm

Yeah, that is true DRM. My friend was from Wisconsin and hasn't lived out west or gotten to do stuff like this. He wanted to do something exciting - I gave him a million dollar adventure, though the skeetos made it pretty terrible, he was still able to appreciate the views and the wind on our one night up high on the mnt pushed them away enough to freely enjoy the evening. But anyways we were discussing the mozzies (what else?) and he said these alpine ones sure were stupid and easy to kill, compared to the ones in Wisconsin. I was telling him I think they have a shorter shelf-life and less prospects than lowland ones so they just go for it. I discussed how at nightfall in the Wallowas one year near mirror lake we were absolutely accosted by them suddenly, but 8 or 9 days later after backpacking around, back at that lake there were just a few--the hatch peaks quickly up high and a few chilly nights can take care of them quickly.

I didn't intend to sound accusatory to you Guy! Mostly befuddled that you had such a positive report. Funny enough we drove the Brietenbush Lake campground loop but didn't get out/didn't see any. Parking at the TH there were a few and basically none until we started getting into the sub-alpine melt towards Park Ridge.

cheers
Feel Free to Feel Free

BurnsideBob

Post by BurnsideBob » August 3rd, 2018, 7:20 am

adamschneider wrote:
July 31st, 2018, 7:18 am
BurnsideBob wrote:
July 30th, 2018, 7:37 pm
Camping in Jefferson Park itself is now by permit in designated campsites.
They abandoned that scheme. You still need to camp at a designated site if you're within 250 feet of a lake, but no permits are needed.
Thanks, Adam, for the Jefferson Park camping update. Can anyone comment on how crowded the Park is now that the Whitewater trail is closed?
I keep making protein shakes but they always turn out like margaritas.

Guy

Post by Guy » August 3rd, 2018, 7:37 am

Water wrote:
August 1st, 2018, 12:25 pm

I didn't intend to sound accusatory to you Guy! Mostly befuddled that you had such a positive report. Funny enough we drove the Brietenbush Lake campground loop but didn't get out/didn't see any. Parking at the TH there were a few and basically none until we started getting into the sub-alpine melt towards Park Ridge.

cheers
Hey no worries, you were about a week after us right, probably depends a lot on winds / weather on the day.
hiking log & photos.
Ad monte summa aut mors

retired jerry

Post by retired jerry » August 3rd, 2018, 7:41 am

yeah, it depends a lot on the weather especially the wind.

one moment fine, another unbearable.

and some locations are windier, like at the top of a cliff or ridge

like others have said, reports are still useful though, for example when the reports are bad make sure and go to a windier spot

sidehill

Post by sidehill » August 5th, 2018, 1:24 pm

We did this hike yesterday and there were only a few mosquitoes that bothered us in the forested sections of the hike. We stopped at park ridge so don't know for sure how crowded the park was, but I counted close to 25 people who were headed into the park to backpack.. and yes, the road is pretty rough but as long as you go slow, any subaru will make it.
Attachments
20180804_143332.jpg
20180804_135501.jpg