Jefferson Park via Park Ridge

Trip recommendations, current conditions, and other trail related Q&A
jeff1

Jefferson Park via Park Ridge

Post by jeff1 » July 30th, 2018, 10:00 am

I'm looking to go to Jefferson Park sometime soon. I've read about the different approaches and would love to take the Park Ridge route. I've read about how bad the road is, but don't really have a feel for it. For anyone who has been, how does it compare to 370/380 up to the Broken Top trailhead? I did it a couple of years ago without any issues. If it helps, I have an Outback (like every other car owner in this area :D ).

Ideally, I'd like to stay one night in Jefferson Park, and then one night up around the ridge. Are there campsites up around the ridge? What about water sources?

Thanks!

Guy

Re: Jefferson Park via Park Ridge

Post by Guy » July 30th, 2018, 12:15 pm

You will have no problems in an Outback. Just a slow drive.
hiking log & photos.
Ad monte summa aut mors

drm

Post by drm » July 30th, 2018, 12:29 pm

I drove my Forester in there year or two ago and there were no gotcha places, just a slow bumpy road.

BurnsideBob

Post by BurnsideBob » July 30th, 2018, 7:37 pm

Wecome to Oregon Hikers!

It has been a very long time since I drove that miserable road--haven't heard it aged well.

As for water and camping, there are some bivy spots on Jefferson Park Ridge but no water. As the trees attest, the ridge top is exposed and probably best for calm weather. Could be a great place for observing the Perseid Meteor Shower, tho.

There is a tarn about 300 yards SSW of where the trail crosses Jefferson Park Ridge. I have seen people camping there--tents and all--but have never checked it out. There would, of course, be water.

Camping in Jefferson Park itself is now by permit in designated campsites.

Good luck with your trip!
I keep making protein shakes but they always turn out like margaritas.

adamschneider

Post by adamschneider » July 31st, 2018, 7:18 am

BurnsideBob wrote:
July 30th, 2018, 7:37 pm
There is a tarn about 300 yards SSW of where the trail crosses Jefferson Park Ridge.
That would be "Sprague Lake."

BurnsideBob wrote:
July 30th, 2018, 7:37 pm
Camping in Jefferson Park itself is now by permit in designated campsites.
They abandoned that scheme. You still need to camp at a designated site if you're within 250 feet of a lake, but no permits are needed.

jeff1

Post by jeff1 » July 31st, 2018, 8:14 am

Thank you all for your replies! This information is super helpful. I'm excited to get out there soon!

Guy

Post by Guy » July 31st, 2018, 8:20 am

Sprague Lake? I thought it was called Gatorade Lake ;)

Taken 07/08/2018
hiking log & photos.
Ad monte summa aut mors

Water

Post by Water » July 31st, 2018, 12:07 pm

Guy,

either you omitted or just got lucky with wind and skeeters, cause I went to Jeff Park via Park Ridge a few days after your report and we got absolutely devoured by the skeeties, including at over 7000ft on the north side of the mnt..they were absolutely atrocious. never been in the park that early so it was nice to see the flowers that are the early bloomers instead of the late fall ones.
Feel Free to Feel Free

Guy

Post by Guy » July 31st, 2018, 12:41 pm

Water wrote:
July 31st, 2018, 12:07 pm
Guy,

either you omitted or just got lucky with wind and skeeters, cause I went to Jeff Park via Park Ridge a few days after your report and we got absolutely devoured by the skeeties, including at over 7000ft on the north side of the mnt..they were absolutely atrocious. never been in the park that early so it was nice to see the flowers that are the early bloomers instead of the late fall ones.
We must have just been lucky, They were really terrible down at the Trailhead and around Breitenbush Lake but higher up they were not an issue at all!
hiking log & photos.
Ad monte summa aut mors

drm

Post by drm » August 1st, 2018, 6:59 am

It's important to remember that the little beasties do seem to have a tiny little mind of their own. Reports from others are helpful, but experiences with bugs can vary a lot day-to-day, sometimes for obvious reasons like the weather, sometimes for no apparent reason at all. You can improve your odds by getting reports from others, but this time of year most places best to be prepared just in case, except for low altitude rivers and creeks in deep V-shaped valleys that almost never have them. Almost.