Broken Top trail head from NF310/380

Trip recommendations, current conditions, and other trail related Q&A
LDG

Broken Top trail head from NF310/380

Post by LDG » July 18th, 2018, 4:18 am

Hoping to get up to No Name Lake over Labor Day Weekend from the BT Trail head. How are NF-370 and 380 looking now? Good enough for an F150 to get through?

Google Maps isn't labeling it as closed, so I'm taking that as a positive.

LDG

Re: Broken Top trail head from NF310/380

Post by LDG » July 20th, 2018, 10:40 am

I just called the Deschutes NF customer service line. Apparently a Honda Civic just made that trek. Insane. The truck I take should be fine.

Don Nelsen

Post by Don Nelsen » July 22nd, 2018, 6:03 pm

I drove up there yesterday and the road is very rough in places. There has been a little work done since I was last there but no grading as far as I could see. A lot of gravel has been put down in some of the worst spots but it's big gravel: 2"+ with some bigger. A careful driver, picking their route over the bad spots could do it in a normal clearance 2WD car but if you've got a front spoiler or other low hanging parts on your vehicle you will bang it up.

An F150 would be no problem at all.
"Everything works in the planning stage" - Kelly

"If you don't do it this year, you will be one year older when you do" - Warren Miller

Don Nelsen

Post by Don Nelsen » July 24th, 2018, 6:10 pm

Here is a view of the TH from the minor peak to the south, 7459 on Saturday, July 21st at 10:21 am. Get there early if you want a spot!. I car camped where you see the two cars at the far bottom left in this first photo but when I left, cars almost immediately started to swamp the few available spaces.

Close up of same: Note that there are no vehicles that are not SUV's, cross-overs or pickups:

"If you don't do it this year, you will be one year older when you do" - Warren Miller

LDG

Post by LDG » July 29th, 2018, 6:48 am

Great pictures! This place is way more packed on a normal weekend than I would have imagined. A holiday weekend must be insane.

Everyone just heading for No Name Lake?

Something I just realized it that there is no snow in your pictures. Is there any left anywhere along the way (I'm guessing there is some near the top). What is the recommended clothing for the hike? Boot and long pants needed?

Don Nelsen

Post by Don Nelsen » July 29th, 2018, 9:06 am

LDG wrote:
July 29th, 2018, 6:48 am
Great pictures! This place is way more packed on a normal weekend than I would have imagined. A holiday weekend must be insane.

Everyone just heading for No Name Lake?

Something I just realized it that there is no snow in your pictures. Is there any left anywhere along the way (I'm guessing there is some near the top). What is the recommended clothing for the hike? Boot and long pants needed?
What little snow was there last weekend must be nearly gone by now. There is probably some ice on no-name-lake and snow in the cirque, though. here are a couple of photos I took from the summit of Ball Butte on the 20th:

There were just a few mosquitos but not too bothersome. Boots would be a good idea - loose pumis on the trail and a few rocks here and there. You can see the trail in the first photo and it looks like it crosses a small patch of snow only once.

have fun!

dn