What Things To Consider When Purchasing A Hiking Sun Hat?

Share your tips for safe hiking, surviving in the wild and managing hiking injuries!
simon9991

What Things To Consider When Purchasing A Hiking Sun Hat?

Post by simon9991 » July 23rd, 2018, 3:48 pm

1. The Brim Width:
This is advised by FDA as well as other manufacturers to use a wide-brim hat made out of firmly woven fibers which are actually opaque for protection from the sun. A 4 “wide brim is widely used for protection from the sun; however, whenever you will be hiking, it is advisable to ensure that the brim is not so wide or floppy that it disrupts your” field of view. “A great suggestion is to get to brim which is not less than 2.75 “wide. In case the bottom of brim features a “dark color”, that is better still as it reduces the glare coming from the shiny surfaces.

2. Shape Of The Brim:
UV rays can be reflected or scattered by various surfaces – not to mention, snow can easily reflect approximately 80% of UV rays, sand on the “dry beach” by approximately 15%, and also sea-foam by approximately 25%. Ultraviolet rays that will be reflected may bounce under the brim of your hat striking your cheeks, chin, and nose. Brims which sit nearer to the face area, that “curve down” provide better protection. However, bear in mind that the shape of the brim must be taken into account for the action which you have planned, such as fishing, golfing or driving.

3. Color Of The Hat:
For the most effective protection from the sun, it is a wise decision to get a cap which features a “white top” that can reflect the heat from sun, while additionally featuring a dark color below to absorb the UV rays which bounce back towards your face and eyes Hats with dark colors under their brims will be even fresher compared to hats with the lighter colors beneath. So keep in mind that any kind of off-white shades like beige or khaki are smart choices and even are less complicated to clean in comparison with the lighter colors.

4. Materials Of The Hat:
Another significant factor for sun hat is going to be the material this is built from and if this will be an appropriate hat intended for the use or climate which you have planned. Not to mention. Hot temperatures are considerably better with the materials which are lightweight and breathable.

The material of the hat is a significant consideration in case you choose to “machine wash” the hat or even if you have a choice over floppy or stiff hats. Also, there are companies which work with the water-resistant materials which are made to float if the hat drops into water.

5. Breathability Of The Sun Hats:
Hats will help you to cool off on scorching day. Still, if it does not breathe perfectly, that hat may heat up you instead. Ensure that your sun hat is made out of breathable fabrics that must not be affected by the sun except if you are carrying out your physical exercise. A good suggestion is to get a sun hat with appropriate ventilation on both sides.

6. Comfort And Ease:
Another necessary consideration while selecting a hat for hot weather is to give thought to the activities you will be wearing this for. In case you are going to be climbing, then a small brim hat can be a significantly better option as it will not hit “your back” as well as fall off whenever you get to climb. On the other hand, if you are going to be running, after that you need a hat which will be properly, light in weight, and will not fly in the wind off.

7. Sturdiness:
If you buy a great sun hat, then it ought to last you a very long time going with you on numerous adventures in recent times. It should be your constant partner, to ensure that it is long lasting and provides superb protection from the sun.

You will discover that many hats for sun made of light colors because of the light colors reflect the heat. On the other hand, do not forget that in case you buy a white colored one, it can be helpful at maintaining you fresh, still, it will promptly get dirty and stained also. Picking a hat which is easily washable and somewhat difficult to assist the stains, so they do not show so much. Also, ensure that you pay a little more for the long lasting material such as nylon rather than inexpensive straw hat coming from gas station.

8. Maintenance And Care:
Cleaning your hat regularly will help prevent accumulation of perspiration and related salt which can degrade the fabric, completely discolor the hat, and result in rot (gross).

In no way, throw the hat in laundry. Instead, wash this by hand utilizing cool water. Not to mention, you can use a soft brush, such as a gentle toothbrush, and also gentle dish soap for attacking particularly difficult spots. Never use fabric softeners or bleaches, which may degrade some solutions in your main hat. When the hat is washed and still wet, reshape this, being attentive to lessen any wrinkles.
Last edited by Aimless on July 23rd, 2018, 6:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: removed SEO link

retired jerry

Re: What Things To Consider When Purchasing A Hiking Sun Hat?

Post by retired jerry » July 23rd, 2018, 4:39 pm

That sounds like good information, thanks

Chip Down

Post by Chip Down » July 23rd, 2018, 6:07 pm

Well done. You almost managed to conceal your spammy intent. You left a couple clues though.

A real member wouldn't register, and make their debut post a tutorial on how to select a hat.

The butchered English was especially obvious. That wasn't written by a native English speaker. Possibly wasn't even written by a human. Example:
simon9991 wrote:
July 23rd, 2018, 3:48 pm
if you are going to be running, after that you need a hat which will be properly, light in weight, and will not fly in the wind off.
Finally, there was the link, which I declined to follow, as it certainly was a sales opportunity at best (possibly something much worse).

Funny that I'm addressing the OP as if they'll actually come back here to read replies.

If I'm wrong, I look forward to your continued contributions here. Maybe someday we'll laugh about how rude I was in responding to your debut post.

Aimless

Post by Aimless » July 23rd, 2018, 6:17 pm

I left the information and removed the link to the outside site.

retired jerry

Post by retired jerry » July 23rd, 2018, 6:39 pm

that's weird, I didn't see any link, I looked for it :)

usually at this point Nat has moved it to "spam central" which no one can read so I'm talking to myself