Site not remembering me

Use this forum to ask questions about how to use this website, or to make any general comments about how it works
Webfoot

Site not remembering me

Post by Webfoot » July 20th, 2018, 1:55 pm

Some time in the last few weeks the site has started logging me out within the day in the same browser session. I used to have to occasionally sign in, but now I may have to several times a day. I have not changed my browser cookie settings, and I am checking the "Remember me" box when I do sign in.

If this is an intentional change I preferred the old behavior.

bobcat

Re: Site not remembering me

Post by bobcat » July 21st, 2018, 10:16 am

I can't address the technical side, but working on the Field Guide, I will get automatically logged out after about 30 minutes of non-activity. That has always been and I'm fine with it, as I prefer to be logged out of anything that I'm not actually using at the moment. I assume your login is still remembered so you can sign back in with a single click when you want to.

justpeachy

Post by justpeachy » July 22nd, 2018, 6:45 pm

I think something's wonky. I will log in, click "unread posts" and then be asked to log in again. I cleared my cache and I'm still having the problem. Dan, any idea what's causing this?

Charley

Post by Charley » July 23rd, 2018, 11:28 am

I've gotten logged out in the short time between writing a brief post, and trying submit said post. It erases all I wrote (I now just copy the text before I submit, but then I still have to login again).
Believe it or not, I barely ever ride a mountain bike.

Webfoot

Post by Webfoot » July 23rd, 2018, 3:13 pm

bobcat wrote:
July 21st, 2018, 10:16 am
I assume your login is still remembered so you can sign back in with a single click when you want to.
That's not what "Remember me" means. The site doesn't fill in your user/pass for you; that's done in your browser, if you have it configured that way.

I also have experienced writing a post only to be sign-ed out on or before submission, and I use "Unread posts" a lot so maybe that's why the problem seem bad to me.

Webfoot

Post by Webfoot » July 23rd, 2018, 4:05 pm

I found a reliable way to reproduce the problem.
This consistently logs me out.

retired jerry

Post by retired jerry » July 23rd, 2018, 4:37 pm

Just for information, I have not been logged out for a long time. Even when I go to that page and reload 3 times.

It has logged me off at times in the past. Which is very annoying. I hate losing text and having to retype. Or having to resort to putting in the paste buffer.

Sometimes if I back arrow the text I typed in will reappear.

drm

Post by drm » July 25th, 2018, 10:23 am

It happens to me every time I try to post, and irregularly when reading. Every time. I have found that the second time I try to post it doesn't log me out. So the first time I copy the text, submit, log in again, paste, and second time it takes.

Like I just did now.

Jerry - what kind of corrupt racket is going on here if it doesn't happen to you? Did you pay somebody off, or offer to carry their pack? :roll:

Bosterson

Post by Bosterson » July 25th, 2018, 11:18 am

As Google (and the web as a whole) is transitioning into secured connections by default, and this forum does not appear to be using HTTPS, I'm guessing that there is some sort of secure connection impediment causing people to be logged out. (This doesn't happen to me while posting, though it does constantly on another forum I use; this one randomly logs me out when I refresh unread posts, etc, every day or so.) Hopefully Dan will be able to weigh in on what's causing this?
#pnw #bestlife #bitingflies #favoriteyellowcap #neverdispleased

Waffle Stomper

Post by Waffle Stomper » July 25th, 2018, 7:56 pm

Drives me crazy. I know, short drive :lol: :lol: :lol:
It seems inconsistent. I'll go through a period when I keep needing to sign in even though I check the remember me box. And then I can go for quite awhile.
"When we try to pick out anything by itself, we find it hitched to everything else in the Universe." - John Muir