Bear canister rental for mount margaret backcountry

Ask questions and share your experiences with hiking & backpacking gear, and share trail recipes and gadget tips. Please see classifieds forum for buying/selling stuff.
Bert

Bear canister rental for mount margaret backcountry

Post by Bert » July 19th, 2018, 1:31 pm

Dear all,
We're a family (Bert, Sofie, 2 boys of 9 and 11) from Belgium and planning to visit Mount Margaret Backcountry next month for a overnight hike. I read on their website that a bear canister is recommanded, so now I'm looking for a place to rent one, preferably nearby Castle Rock (we leave from there to Mt Saint Helens area). I contacted the Forest service and visitor centre of Mount SH, already, but they couldn't help me. Hopefully anyone of you can help us.

Kind regards,
Bert

retired jerry

Re: Bear canister rental for mount margaret backcountry

Post by retired jerry » July 19th, 2018, 5:25 pm

I don't think a bear canister is needed.

I've been in the Mt Margaret back country and all around the area. Occasionally I've seen bears (not in Mt Margaret but in nearby areas). Bears are very skittish of humans. Just hang your food from a tree.

In Yosemite, for example, you should definitely have a bear canister because it's required and the bears are very clever. In Olympic National Park there are places a bear canister is required.

Maybe REI rents bear canisters. There must be several REIs between the airport you fly into and the trailhead.

mjirving

Post by mjirving » July 19th, 2018, 5:45 pm

I totally agree with Jerry. Have fun!

pcg

Post by pcg » July 19th, 2018, 7:19 pm

Ditto on above. Bears are generally not a problem in Oregon and Washington. If you want to take one anyway you can borrow mine if you fly into Portland. It's bulky and heavy, but PM me if you want it. I have a Bearvault and an Ursack. The only reason I have the Bearvault is because canisters are required in some parts of North Cascades National Park. I often use the Ursack, but that's because I'm concerned about mice and snaffle hounds, not bears.
Hang your food properly and you'll be fine. You'll probably be fine even if you don't bother to hang your food, except for mice. If you have food in your tent, be prepared for mice to chew their way in and run across you during the night. They'll chew holes in your pack as well, if food is in there.
Last edited by pcg on July 19th, 2018, 8:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mjirving

Post by mjirving » July 19th, 2018, 7:38 pm

Ditto. They should be called “mice bags” not bear bags.

Bert

Post by Bert » July 19th, 2018, 11:34 pm

Hi Folks,
Thanks for the answers. As it's mentioned on the website (https://www.recreation.gov/wildernessAr ... kId=111240) and we don't have experience yet with hiking in bear area's and hanging is probably not an option (we will camp at Ridge Camp along the Coldwater trail, which looks rather treeless), I would feel more reassured to have some kind of protection (also against the mice :)). PCM, thanks for the offer. W'll fly into Portland, I'll send you a PM.

Kind regards,
Bert

Thuja

Post by Thuja » August 1st, 2018, 5:05 pm

Last edited by Thuja on March 8th, 2019, 7:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

drm

Post by drm » August 7th, 2018, 7:57 am

Well, a canister also serves as an adequate stool for sitting on if you don't like sitting on the ground. I own a canister but wouldn't bother taking it to Mt Margaret back country.