Timberline Trail: 6/27/18-6/29/18

This forum is used to share your experiences out on the trails.
Splintercat

Re: Timberline Trail: 6/27/18-6/29/18

Post by Splintercat » July 7th, 2018, 5:40 pm

Nice report, Brad! Thanks for the update on the Eliot crossing -- the USFS had reported it blown out, but good to hear that it's still manageable on the new route.

Love the mossman... but agree, I wouldn't want to run into that on the trail... ;-)

Tom :-)

jime

Post by jime » July 7th, 2018, 7:27 pm

For what it's worth. I crossed the Sandy this morning (July 7th). I changed into my crocs. Water was less than knee high. A log extended only part of the way across. With care, it did not pose a problem.

Lot's of trail runners out there today on the timberline!

Jim

karenlevy

Post by karenlevy » July 8th, 2018, 8:24 am

Wow, y'all are the best. Many thanks for your helpful responses!

Born2BBrad

Post by Born2BBrad » July 9th, 2018, 7:12 am

I’ll add my two cents worth here,

Direction:
Most people tend to go CW, but it really doesn’t matter. CW you get the climb from White River at the end, while CCW you get the climb from Sandy, then ZZ at the end. I went CW this last trip mainly because there were high winds blowing dust everywhere in the White River canyon at the start of the trip.

Water Crossings:
Crocs are a light option if you have to do it wet. Micro-spikes are great for traction on slippery logs. Each person has to decide what they are most comfortable with in how they cross. It may be worth the time to scout up or down a crossing to find a better place to cross. Where the water is wide and less steep is generally better.

Muddy Fork High or Low:
The advantages of the low crossing is that there is, or used to be, two large logs to aid in a safe, dry crossing. If the low crossing had to be done wet, there is a wide, non-steep spot for that. The disadvantage is that it is longer and has more EG. The advantage of the high crossing is that it is shorter and less EG. The slides on the upper route are no problem.

Water Sources:
Water is abundant on most of the entire TT. There are some exceptions, most notably from the Eliot to Newton Creek. Only a couple of sources. Not sure if those dry up in late summer.

Eliot Crossing:
Use the new, lower crossing, unless you want more of an adventure. I’d be curious if the log below where the trail meets the water is a viable option. Report back if it is.
Make now always the most precious time. Now will never come again.
- Jean Luc Picard

Link to GPX tracks
Link to Trip Reports

retired jerry

Post by retired jerry » July 9th, 2018, 7:36 am

good comments

"It may be worth the time to scout up or down a crossing to find a better place to cross."
And sometimes I'll go back and forth trying to find a good crossing, but at some point I just have to quit being indecisive and do one. Sort of like life?

I have always found water at the high point between Newton and Eliot. Just south there is a stream that never dries up (on the trips I've done). There are good streams north of the high point, but they dry up late in season.

Kerraeb

Post by Kerraeb » July 19th, 2018, 7:09 pm

Solo Birthday Backpack is back! (I did the Loowit last year.)

I have from 4pm Thur- 5pm Mon to complete the Timberline Trail.

I have all of the gear, stamina, and hours of researched reports, maps, and a two-way satellite texting device. (I'm ready for the bugs!)

I will not do dangerous river crossings alone. I looked up the approximate mileages and places to camp. I've done small sections of it before.

I'm debating the direction to take. I like the argument for counter-clockwise to get the big sandy slope out of the way early.
I'm thinking I will do 4-6 miles from the Lodge Thursday afternoon and start the harder stuff fresh Friday morning.

I'm not sure how much it matters though.

I guarantee I'm overthinking it. :)

Thoughts from those of you who have done it?

THANK YOU!!!
Attachments
C Clockwise.JPG
clockwise.JPG
Some days are diamonds, some days are stones.

retired jerry

Post by retired jerry » July 19th, 2018, 7:18 pm

That should be a great trip!

The river crossings are only dangerous if it's been raining quite a few inches, so not a problem.

Likely, the water level will be over the tops of your shoes or boots. It is unpleasant to then hike with wet shoes/boots. How are you going to cross streams?

For anyone that waits until late August or September, you can probably hop across without getting your shoes/boots wet

Kerraeb

Post by Kerraeb » July 23rd, 2018, 2:30 pm

I've got water shoes! And microspikes. If it looks sketchy I'll wait until others are there too.

I really can't decide CW or CCW.
Some days are diamonds, some days are stones.

retired jerry

Post by retired jerry » July 23rd, 2018, 2:50 pm

don't need microspikes

in my opinion

I hate taking extra weight

drm

Post by drm » July 23rd, 2018, 2:52 pm

For me there is no question on the direction. Sure, White River and Sandy are both big hills. But the White River is exposed in the sun and deep sand. Most of the Sandy climb is in forested shade on a good trail. I'd much rather go down to the WR and up from the Sandy. And it's going to be hot as blazes next weekend, possibly 80 up in the alpine. Hope you like the heat. You will probably be dunking your head in those creeks.

If you do go CCW, getting to Newton Ck that first afternoon would be great as then you would be all set for the big climb up Gnarl Ridge first thing the next morning.