Timberline Trail: 6/27/18-6/29/18

This forum is used to share your experiences out on the trails.
karenlevy

Re: Timberline Trail: 6/27/18-6/29/18

Post by karenlevy » July 7th, 2018, 5:45 am

Thanks for sharing your trip report. This is the first time I've used this forum and appreciate all of the time and effort people put into it!

We are heading to the TT on 7/13, and it's helpful to get an idea of how much snow is still out there to determine footwear choice, and the river crossing info is great too (I'd be curious to hear from folks who cross by going *in* the water rather than across slick logs). What do you think is the best direction/plan for hitting the Eliot early in the morning? People seem to have definite opinions about CW/CCW! Maybe I'm overthinking it? Planning to do this 4 days/3 nights, and want to map out our plan this weekend.

I'm also using GaiaGPS for the first time this year. I'm wondering if folks here share their tracks/routes? It's kind of a pain to enter the whole route (I did enter a route for a day hike today for practice though) and I'd love to learn from you, if you're willing.

Many thanks!

retired jerry

Post by retired jerry » July 7th, 2018, 6:10 am

overthinking it, any direction is fine :)

Eliot is not the worst crossing. Sandy, White River, Newton are worse. Before they put in that new trail, getting to the Eliot was difficult but the actual crossing isn't that bad.

If the water gets over the top of my waterproof breathable boots, it takes days to dry out. I've noticed my Merino socks develop thin spots when they're wet and I use them for many miles so I have to throw them away after that trip.

I crossed the Sandy a couple weeks ago. I brought sandals for the crossings. I hate taking the extra weight though.

Some people swear by light breathable trail shoes and thin socks. They dry out pretty quick.

retired jerry

Post by retired jerry » July 7th, 2018, 6:11 am

gps track
1tracksmthood.gpx
(160.57 KiB) Downloaded 217 times

FamilyHiker

Post by FamilyHiker » July 7th, 2018, 12:20 pm

karenlevy wrote:
July 7th, 2018, 5:45 am
Thanks for sharing your trip report. This is the first time I've used this forum and appreciate all of the time and effort people put into it!

We are heading to the TT on 7/13, and it's helpful to get an idea of how much snow is still out there to determine footwear choice, and the river crossing info is great too (I'd be curious to hear from folks who cross by going *in* the water rather than across slick logs). What do you think is the best direction/plan for hitting the Eliot early in the morning? People seem to have definite opinions about CW/CCW! Maybe I'm overthinking it? Planning to do this 4 days/3 nights, and want to map out our plan this weekend.

I'm also using GaiaGPS for the first time this year. I'm wondering if folks here share their tracks/routes? It's kind of a pain to enter the whole route (I did enter a route for a day hike today for practice though) and I'd love to learn from you, if you're willing.

Many thanks!

I've been planning a trip for the 13th as well with a few friends. We are planning CW 3 night/4day. Eager to hear more about any potential dry areas where its hard to get good water. Also, if there are any updates on river crossings with the increased temperatures. KarenLevy...hope to see you out there.

Word Nerd

Post by Word Nerd » July 7th, 2018, 12:42 pm

karenlevy wrote:
July 7th, 2018, 5:45 am
I crossed through the water on about half last year, and did rocks/logs on the other half. I carried a pair of hiking sandals for this and lashed them to the outside of my pack. There are some crossings that had too much current to try this, though - Coe, Newton, Eliot. Those were my least favorite ones in that order, too. The first branch of the Muddy Fork (the one filled with boulders) would have been hard to wade, too. The issues with using sandals to cross, for me anyway, were that it was hard to really dry my feet enough and that trail is SO sandy. The sand got into my trail runners right through the fabric of my shoes, and with slightly wet feet, I got blisters. However, I am overweigh and don't have the best balance, so for me this was a better option. I would be wiser now and have a bigger towel and wear ankle gaiters. This would greatly reduce that problem. Anyway, not all the water can be crossed by fording, but for each one that could, that was my choice.

MarkInTheDark

Post by MarkInTheDark » July 7th, 2018, 2:45 pm

cool mannn, epic!

FamilyHiker

Post by FamilyHiker » July 7th, 2018, 3:22 pm

Question for those who know the trail well. Is there anything significant to know about the three options just past Ramona Falls as described in the trail description on oregonhikers.org (http://www.oregonhikers.org/field_guide ... _Hood_Hike)

It mentions possible landslides if you stick to trail 600. Has anyone travelled that route this year? Also is the crossing of the Muddy Fork more difficult at 4100' as opposed to 2800' if you stay on trail 2000 (PCT)?

Thanks-

retired jerry

Post by retired jerry » July 7th, 2018, 3:26 pm

I crossed the slides a couple weeks ago. Not too bad.

Somebody just did the muddy fork crossing. About the same as other crossings like Sandy and Coe. A bit difficult to find a crossing without getting your feet wet.

In September they can all be crossed without getting your boots wet (inside).

FamilyHiker

Post by FamilyHiker » July 7th, 2018, 3:42 pm

retired jerry wrote:
July 7th, 2018, 3:26 pm
I crossed the slides a couple weeks ago. Not too bad.

Somebody just did the muddy fork crossing. About the same as other crossings like Sandy and Coe. A bit difficult to find a crossing without getting your feet wet.

In September they can all be crossed without getting your boots wet (inside).
Thanks so much Jerry. We are heading out next Friday. Any thoughts on how much the warmer weather will effect the difficult stream crossings? Also, reading a lot about the new trail near the Eliot washout...seems like conservative wisdom suggests stick with the new trail and don't try the old ropes route or the glacier route?

retired jerry

Post by retired jerry » July 7th, 2018, 4:32 pm

warm weather - streams a little bigger but still doable about the same

I would recommend doing the new crossing of Eliot. If you just follow the trail that's what you'll do.